PDA

View Full Version : What do the calls mean ?

archersgreen
10-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Does anybody have any idea what the different calls mean ? To me they just seem a random choice of calls but I'm guessing, like any "language" that the different squeaks and screams have different meanings and are therefore vocalised specifically.

I'm particulalry interested in the really high pitched one that sounds like "tick tick tick tick" and the other slightly lower in tone call, that's a more lusty "whoop whoop whoop" but is shouted like a short burst of machine gun fire -with the head tilted right back and the chest puffed out...... If any of that makes sense :lol

Just interested if anybody knows of any research as to what the calls mean.

John

Flapjack
10-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Jack does the really loud high pitched EE EE EE EE! and stands up tall and flaps his wings once when he's very excited or sees something he thinks is amazing, or when he's saying "Look at ME!", and it's only outside his cage.
He also has different calls for me, my husband, and one of my sons when he hears us in the house.

shylevon
10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Chirp chirp = Pay attention to me.

Peep peep = Pay attention to me.

Chortle chortle = Pay attention to me.

Click click = Pay attention to me.

Squack squack = Pay attention to me.

Screech screech = Where the he11 are you??? Come and pay attention to me.

Janie
10-28-2007, 04:07 PM

:rotfl :rofl: :rotfl :rofl:

She's BAAACK! :D

Jessica
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I think Shy is reading Celestino's mind:nyah:

Estee
10-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Tutti Frutti has a special throaty squeal when he sees a NutriBerry coming his way.

When he doesn't like something (being taken off a shoulder, being taken off the hammock, being taken out of my kids' shirts, being orally unlatched from my necklace) he sounds exactly like a rusty gate.

Miyaki
10-28-2007, 10:54 PM

This is totally my bird. Except when I come back he'll make a "Chilurp" of happiness before going into his other chirps.

Kween
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a few calls that I know... most of them are just her singing to herself while looking out the window, but she does have the others... Thankfully she's never developed the loud EE EE EE EE! calls, she's mostly quite demure and quiet, her loudest would be one single PEEP! When she wants me to answer.

Then she has her "Cheepcheep! Cheepcheep! Kree!" type calls, when she wants to be taken out of the cage, trying to convince me with her "come on! let's play!"... When I'm close to her and next to her cage she really quietly and calmly goes "tweet" at me as though sweet-talking. She knows how to butter me up. :D And when I do things she doesn't like she either goes "KREEEK!" loudly in a little birdy yell, or she "prrrrrts" in quiet dissaproval, throwing in a few bites for good measure.

I was scared that Sushi would become a loud little birdy but thanks to the site and the Lovebird Handbook, she has become a quiet, subtle little lady. ^_^

Kirby
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Skittles has all these calls that I have no idea what they mean.

Various ring tones = phone's ringing and I'm being a ham
Fartfartfart = Get out of my happy hut or I'll bite you
Peep Peep Peep = Where's Kirby? or I'm looking for Lauren and Chris
*smooooooch* = I'm just trying to be a ham again
*snapping finger noise* = Mommy is trying to tell me off without being dramatic, so when she snaps her fingers to get me to stop, I mimic it to bug her :p (That and she knows I'm cute)

Kirby has noises and chirps that for the life of me, I cannot type they are too hilarious. So I will have to video tape them one time and show everyone

beckyg
10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Luna goes squawkety squawkety(I feel stupid just typing that :D) quietly when she disapproves of something, and EE loudly when I leave the room. She has a myriad of different chirps and songs when she is looking out the window at the cars and other birds and such. My favorite is when she is under a cover on my lap going to sleep and I hear her chirp quitely... dream chirping, gotta love it.

Kween
10-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh goodness yes, those little sleepy-chirps are the bestest! :) I just wanna snuggle them soooo hard when they to that, and go SQUEE! ...but of course I don't. :rofl:

Buy A Paper Doll
10-30-2007, 07:43 PM
What Shy said. :) And add these for good measure:

Chirp chirp chip chip chip (or cluck cluck click click click) = Come here and let me bite you.
Chirp CHIRP! = I just heard the door open. Somebody's home! Open the cage door.
Peekaboo! = Aren't I cute? Open the cage door.
SCREECH! SCREECH! SCREECH! = My very best car alarm impression. Open the cage door.
GRACK! = Open the cage door.

shylevon
10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
And don’t forget those early morning conversations they have that seem so loud and to go on and on forever. Do you ever wonder what they are saying? Well, let me tell you…

Cheep cheep cheep I think it is morning. The sun is not quite up yet but I have a feeling morning is upon us. I made it thorough the night all right, I’m just letting everyone know. Is everyone else OK? Did anything get any of you in the night? I just want everyone to know that I am OK, and that nothing got me in the night. I don’t mind saying I got a little frightened there for a while. I almost sent out a lout peep peep peeeep, cause I thought something was there in the dark and was maybe gonna poke me or something, but I am all right, nothing poked me or got me in the night. I sure hope all is well with the rest of you, no pokes or anything. It was a long night, but all is well now that the sun is coming up. I think maybe… oh, wait… WHATDAHECKWAZDATGROWLING??? Oh, that was my tummy. Nothing to worry about, just my tummy. I think I’ll have a little snack. Where are the snacks… WHERE THE HECK ARE THE SNACKS? Oh, there they are, same place they were yesterday. Whooda thunk to look there. Well, if anyone is looking for me, I’ll be over here with the snacks, IF ANYONE IS LOOKING. Oh, safflower seeds, my favorite.. oh, millet, my favorite.. oh, a pellet, pttu.. oh, canary grass, my… Oh dear lord, what happened to the canaries… SOMETHING GOT THE CANARIES… no, wait, did we ever have canaries? Oh, who cares. Oh, hemp seeds, my favorite.. oh, oats, my favorite.. oh, canola, pttuie.. oh, millet, my favorite… Ah, I think I gotta go poop, no wait, no maybe not. Oh, yup, I gotta go poop. LOOK OUT BELOW. Ahh, that was a big one. Well, it was a very good night so far, and it’s gonna be a good day. I made it through the night alive, the sun came up, I’m having a snack, and later I will play with my toys. Oh wait. First I need a drinkie. Where is the drinkies.. WHERE THE HECK ARE THE DRINKIES? Oh, there they are, same place they were yesterday. I wonder where the drinkies will be tomorrow. Can’t say for sure. Well, I am happy I made it through the night, and I am just letting you all know, and I hope you made it through the night OK too.

This is the translation of the long conversation first thing in the morning.

wilkiecoco
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kirby
11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
HAHAHAHHA

That is PERFECT!!! Well done!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :clap

carrier
11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!

:lol :lol :lol

You are going to get me in trouble at work....I just bust a gut laughing here sitting in my cubicle and this is a VERY quiet department.:blush:

beckyg
11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
:rofl: Shy, You need to write a book about it! That was very cute.

butterfly1061
11-01-2007, 02:50 PM
:rofl: Shy, You need to write a book about it! That was very cute.She does and we've been telling her that for a while now. The girl has talent! :clap Oh, and she can sew & quilt and ...

beckyg
11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
She does and we've been telling her that for a while now. The girl has talent! :clap Oh, and she can sew & quilt and ...

Must be nice to be multitalented!! :D I think she could write a very cute childrens book series that would be very popular! I would buy it. :)

mjm8321
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Thank you Shy!!! :rofl: :rofl: This made my lousy day so much better! We certainly did miss you!

michael
11-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank gosh we now know what those morning calls are all about. Thank you Shy. :) Now if we only knew what they were saying the rest of the day, especially when there's 20-30 of them. :whistle: ...............Michael and Goofy :D

Screamer
11-01-2007, 04:36 PM

^^^^ funny post, rofl

Estee
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
---

Pips mom
11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
To john who first posted here----I know that one! the one you said is shouted like a short burst of machine gun fire! Pip does that one too! As soon as I saw what you wrote, I knew! I know that sound! We always say "jungle birdie!" when he does that! He likes to do that when he sees himself in the mirror! He is really loud when he does that!
This one also sticks out to me---- really loud high pitched EE EE EE EE!
And the "open the cage door" one----yup, that's Pip!
One I haven't seen mentioned that Pip does-----he will bob his head up and down and make this cute little grunting sound----not a chirp or a peep, or even a sound that birds make-----just this grunting sound----I love it when he does this and I immitate it back to him and bob my head up and down and he will immitate me back-----he knows that I like this and will do it when I walk over to him when he's in cage to be cute so maybe I will let him out! smart little stinkers!

Tutti's other mommy
11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
tutti has several calls...

1.screeches whenever you touch him- "NO, I do NOT want to get off your shoulder"
2.sceeches when he is playing with his shredding toy- battle cry
3.chirps REALLY loud- "come back here and pet me"
4.special "oooh a nutriberry" chirp
5.strange beak grinding sound- mmm I feel good

I also thougt the "good morning" post was hilarious:clap

Christian
11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Estrella has started mimicking my fiance, who often makes noises with his tounge (I don't know how you type this, but when you click your tounge to the roof of your mouth)
Anyways, that is how he gets Estrella to come to him, because for some reason that noise really intrigues lil birdies.
I noticed Estrella making this really weird clicking noise, and I kept thinking what is he mimicking?? then it came to me, he is mimicking my fiance, but oddly enough he only does that noise to me.

Z28Taxman
11-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Estrella has started mimicking my fiance, who often makes noises with his tounge (I don't know how you type this, but when you click your tounge to the roof of your mouth)
Anyways, that is how he gets Estrella to come to him, because for some reason that noise really intrigues lil birdies.
I noticed Estrella making this really weird clicking noise, and I kept thinking what is he mimicking?? then it came to me, he is mimicking my fiance, but oddly enough he only does that noise to me.

The clicking noise is part of the courtship dance. He's decieded you're his girlfriend. :omg:

Christian
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
The clicking noise is part of the courtship dance. He's decieded you're his girlfriend. :omg:

Haha, wow this will be an interesting relationship! :rofl:
How funny, I did not realize they have a courtship dance...

Janie
11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Haha, wow this will be an interesting relationship! :rofl:
How funny, I did not realize they have a courtship dance...

Oh yeah....they do! :D The first time Oliver hopped off my shoulder and onto the back of the couch and started going in circles, scratching one cheek like mad and clicking away, I freaked out. :omg: Had it happened during the day, I would have taken him straight to the vet! Fortunately it happened at night and I posted a question here "WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY LOVIE?" and saved myself the cost of a vet visit! :rotfl

Dave said it....you're Estrella's girlfriend! :D

aquagranny
11-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Back to square 1 please?
I have two lovies, and, after a year, I'm still only a scary lady to them... I sooo envy you all...
Tick, tick,tick - would be that they are alarmed and a little scared. This much I understood...
But, when I open the door to go out, they get into frantic loud chirping:
1. They are happy to finally get rid of me? or 2. They know I'm gone for some thime, and might miss me a little??
Is there any hope for me??