PDA

View Full Version : the strangest coincidence!

lucky melatonin
10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
ok, so you know i made that post earlier about francis's poor little feather. well, i had to take my grandma to the pain management clinic today. and when we were leaving, in the elevator, my brother called me to check on the bird.

i was like i think he's ok, but i'm still really worried. and my grandma says, "that bird is ok!" and the guy in the elevator was like, did you say bird? what kind of bird?....

turns out, the guy is an avian vet at a pain appointmet there. not only that, but he's an avian vet at UT with me, and i saw his name while looking for vets. hahah. when he introduced himself, i was like "oh, i've seen your name!"...so i told him about the feather, and he says he'd really like to see it before he gives me a definite answer, but told me a few things to watch for. what we think is, that the guy who clipped francis's wing at the pet store did something wrong. for one thing, he only clipped one wing...and i think he clipped too much. so i'm pretty angry about that.>:

i just thought it was a really strange, but fortunate coincidence...and he was just so dang nice that i want to bring francis to him.:)

Gene
10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
That's really great news! Hang on to that vet if he's good, the closest qualified avian vet is 2and a half hour's drive from my town, so I basically rely on this board for any and all emergencies. Luckily I haven't had a really bad one yet!

Z28Taxman
10-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Clipping only one wing is definately a bad thing. Poor little guy is off balance now. :(

thebubbleking
10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Lucky you it is so hard to find a good careing vet!
You know i have read many many sites and talked to many vets who have said to clip just one wing, the reasoning behind that being even with clipped wings the lovies can still fly but with one wing cliped they cant control thier flight.
I personaly clip both wings i want my babies to have some control and not be banging into windows or worse.
Again this is just what i read and heard and is just information not an opinon or fact :D

Eliza
10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Clipping only one wing is definately a bad thing. Poor little guy is off balance now. :(

Exactly. There are still folks that do this :mad: and I think it's dangerous.

What perfect timing re: grandmother's appt. and the avian vet!

lucky melatonin
10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
yeah, well when i first got him...i didn't know anything about wing clipping, which is why i asked the guy at the shop to do it before i took him home.

then, i had him for a few days, and i was like ughh, i think he only did one...but assumed, it was normal...then i started reading and discovered my shocked assumption was right. but on top of that, the wing look super chopped up and jagged. i didn't know if this was normal either until i started looking at other clipped wing birds. it didn't look like a pirhana attacked their wing like mine did.

i'm really upset about that, i mean, if he didn't really know how to do it, i would have rather him just say that they didn't clip wings to take him somewhere else. rather than mess up his pretty little wing.

ugh! he seems ok though, doesn't seem to be in pain. nor is he bleeding. my poor fella.

by the way, when will he have his first molt? i really want his feathers looking purty, like him. from what the people i bought him from told me, he should be about 4 months old now.

Jessica
10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I think it's at about six months that they molt. Griffin is supposed to be less than that but he seems to be starting to get his head band. I think he's a month or two older than they said.

Wing clipping annoys me because there are so many opinions on how to do it that are wrong. It seems there are some who are convinced they are doing it right but aren't. I know Griffin's clip was not well done because they are so jagged and short. Thankfully Celestino is tame enough for us not to clip his but I think Griffin will get at least one more clip. I may get brave and do it my self.

Z28Taxman
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
His first moult should be around 6 months so he'll start soon.

Ditto's last wing clip (almost 4 years ago now) was a real butcher job. Cut all the flights and even some of the coverts. Poor little guy fell like a stone. It was almost a year before he could fly at all and almost 2 before he could fly across the room without getting winded. >:

He flies like a champ now though. When he feels like it that is. He'd rather just hang out with me. But he is strong enough to fly back to the couch from his cage with a piece of avicake that's bigger than his head. :omg:

michael
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Say Dave....That Ditto is some couch potatoe. So whats his favorite team? ................Michael and Goofy :D

I must add....there is a favorite spot on the arm of our couch where Goof will perch and wait for my return. Should anyone sit there he puts up a bit of a fuss. Now thats what I call team effort!

Z28Taxman
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Say Dave....That Ditto is some couch potatoe. So whats his favorite team? ................Michael and Goofy :D

I must add....there is a favorite spot on the arm of our couch where Goof will perch and wait for my return. Should anyone sit there he puts up a bit of a fuss. Now thats what I call team effort!

The Flyers of course!!!!!:clap Ditto doesn't wait on the couch though. He'll fly after me if I leave.

beckyg
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Emily, that is awesome, you will have to let me know if you go to him and if he is good. I moved back Luna's appt to next Monday, so I haven't met my vet yet, but I don't think he specializes in birds, though I know he sees them and is board certified. That's no coincidence it was suppose to happen, why else would you be in the same place at the same time and actually be talking about your bird. It was divine intervention :D.

lucky melatonin
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Emily, that is awesome, you will have to let me know if you go to him and if he is good. I moved back Luna's appt to next Monday, so I haven't met my vet yet, but I don't think he specializes in birds, though I know he sees them and is board certified. That's no coincidence it was suppose to happen, why else would you be in the same place at the same time and actually be talking about your bird. It was divine intervention :D.

haha! that's exactly what i said! i was like i have to take francis to him now, things like that do not happen for no reason! his name is michael jones, he's certified, i actually found his name on the site reccomended here. it's just a huge convenience that he's at UT.

since francis's wings are clipped he can't fly too well, but now since he's getting to fly a little better because he's getting older and his wings are semi-growing back, when i get close to the cage and his playing on the top, he flys off to me. ....he usually misses though, poor little fella.

i'd been doing some reading about the blood feathers, and feel so educated now. i went to peteducation.com...they have a good section on birds and care. i mean, the detail on how to deal with a blood feather was the best explanation i got yet. so francis should be molting soon, apparently...i can't decide if i'm excited or worried!

Janie
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Emily, talk about fate! :) That really takes the cake, your meeting him like that. I agree, it's great he's with UT.