PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly noisy

Mom2Bailey
11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
For the year and a half that I’ve owned Bailey, our morning routine would consist of a 5-10 minute head scratch before I would be off to work. He would normally lie on my chest w/ his eyes shut and enjoy the head scratches he received. :)
For the past two weeks when I take him out of his cage in the morning, he screams and will not keep quiet, no matter how much I try to sweet talk him and scratch his head. Once I put him back in his cage, he calms down after a few minutes. Is he trying to tell me that he doesn’t want out of cage time in the morning anymore?

Mummieeva
11-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Nope he is probably trying to tell you more mommy more..lol. Is he just screaming when you touch his head? Might be some feathers there bothering him. Mine talk and scream all day long so never had a quiet bird..lol.

Steph

Mom2Bailey
11-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I don't do anything specific to cause this, he just starts to scream as soon as he's out of the cage.

linda040899
11-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Alyssa,
All my birds are noisy early in the morning! The sun is up, they have probably already eaten and life is wonderful!! Chirping is how they let the world know that all is well in their lives. :)

butterfly1061
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Alyssa,

All three of mine do the same thing in the morning. In fact, this morning was louder than normal and I checked on them several times before I left for work. They are "very" active in the morning and it's just their way of expressing how happy & alive they are. They call to me all morning as I'm getting ready and I answer them all the time cause it keeps them from panicing that I'm not there. When I leave I say "Bye-Bye, I love you" and they know I'm leaving. :2cents:

Janie
11-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Alyssa, w/o looking back to previous post, are you sure that Bailey is a he? I'm only wondering because I was thinking that the other possibility for this change in behavior could be "hen" behavior, especially at Bailey's age. Otherwise, same here......all of my lovies are very vocal in the morning! :D What I wonder about is that Bailey doesn't want out of his cage in the morning and always did before. :confused: Is anything else about his behavior different?

bellarains
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
He Alyssa,

Is Bailey's behavior towards you any different other than being more vocal? I guess also, I know it's hard, but can you clarify "screaming"? Is it normal chatter noise, or is it more of an alarm call?

Just trying to think out loud with you and see what might be different. My GCC started screaming just a little while ago and I finally figured out it was the red Christmas platter I had gotten out that freaked him out. Guess he won't be getting anything off the relish tray :lol

butterfly1061
11-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Lori, :lol

I hope I don't freak out my babies with the christmas decorations. Molly is the only one who's been around them, but that's been a while. Talk about screaming! and it will probably come from Daisy :eek:

Janie
11-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Jackie, I was thinking the same thing! Oliver pays no attention to the tree or the decorations but Big Boi and Shy????? A whole 'nother story! They are interested in everything! I will NOT be decorating the bird room! :lol

butterfly1061
11-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Last year I didn't put any tinsel on the tree for fear Molly would get hold of it. He didn't like the tree and I didn't spend much time around it with him. I did let him touch the tree needles and he did not like them at all! (good) The thing the kinda freaked him out were all the boxes with the decorations.

Mom2Bailey
11-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Alyssa, w/o looking back to previous post, are you sure that Bailey is a he?

Hey Janie,
I'm 99% sure that Bailey is a HE. I bought him from a bird store, and I actually had second claim to him. The person who had first dibs wanted a female for breeding, and that person paid for the DNA test. Since Bailey ended up being a boy, he ended up being mine.

Mom2Bailey
11-22-2005, 06:43 PM
He Alyssa,

Is Bailey's behavior towards you any different other than being more vocal? I guess also, I know it's hard, but can you clarify "screaming"? Is it normal chatter noise, or is it more of an alarm call?

It sounds like an alarm call. It's the same loud "cheep" over and over and over...and over and over.... :rolleyes:

butterfly1061
11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Alyssa,

Birds are very visual. Has anything changed in the house where Bailey is taken?

Mummieeva
11-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Also has anything about you changed? Hair style,glasses,or diffrent clothes?Diffrent time getting him out?

Steph

bellarains
11-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Alyssa,

I asked because the type of call usually means something, we just have to figure out what it is. Have you added anything new to the room? Are you fingernails painted by chance? Red is something some birds freak out over, so that was one thought.

Anyway, when Bailey starts screaming, try taking him to another location and see if he calms down. If your nails are painted, you might have to give that up. You'll figure out eventually what's bothering him, just keep eliminating things, and see if an object or location is involved, and go from there.

TTYL,

Lori

Mom2Bailey
11-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Thank you everyone!
Unfortunately, nothing that I can think of is different. My nails are not painted. I bring Bailey into the living room in the morning, and that's the main area he is always at during out of cage time. I'll look around when I get home from work for things that are different.

bellarains
11-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Alyssa,

Sorry, I just had another though. Bela will sit on my shoulder and make the alarm call also when he is tired. Since you said Bailey is doing this when you get him out in the morning, that was one other thought, maybe he's tired? Does he do this in the evening's also?

I'm just throwing things out there, as I know it makes you worry when their demeanor changes. Is Bailey getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night? Anyway, there's another thought ;)

Mom2Bailey
11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Alyssa,

Sorry, I just had another though. Bela will sit on my shoulder and make the alarm call also when he is tired. Since you said Bailey is doing this when you get him out in the morning, that was one other thought, maybe he's tired? Does he do this in the evening's also?

I'm just throwing things out there, as I know it makes you worry when their demeanor changes. Is Bailey getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night? Anyway, there's another thought ;)

He gets around 9 hours of sleep Monday-Friday, and 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. I don't put him to bed until 9:30pm on the weekdays because a few nights a week I don't get home until 8:30pm. He doesn't make the alarm call at night. He just bites us a lot when it's time for bed. >o
Do you think that I should stop taking him out of the cage on weekday mornings and wait until right before I leave for work before taking his cage cover off?

butterfly1061
11-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Alyssa,

Hmmm... Well, when mine are tired they get bitey. This usually happens on the weekend after they have played outside the cage for a long length of time. I do give them 12 hours of sleep every night. I get up at 6 am and get them up at 7 am. They go to bed at 7 pm everynight. This could be part of the problem, but I'm not sure either. It is hard to pin point the exact reason for the problem. Just trying to help you eliminate different situations. :)

bellarains
11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Alyssa,

With the time change, getting darker earlier, Bailey may be feeling the need for some extra Zzzz's. You might try it and see how it goes, he can also go back to sleep when you leave ;)

I also get mine up just before I leave for work. They only get about 10 minutes of out time in the morning with me, but I try and make up for it when I get home.

I guess play it by ear and see how it goes with Bailey. I really don't think it will hurt him to get him up before you leave, but it was a thought as to why he's making the alarm call.

TTYL,

Lori