PDA

View Full Version : Dunkin' Doughnuts

Mandolin
02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I am just wondering if any other birds do this, and if so why? Whenever Kameko is eating, she will take seeds, and any other piece of food in her dish (especially popcorn) and dunk them in her water dish. She dunks, eats, adn repeats. Many just get left in her water dish so makes for some nasty water if it isn't changed immediately. Any reason for this? We think it is kind of funny.

Janie
02-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Big Boi and Shy have a water bottle in their cage but every chance they get to hop over to Oliver's cage, they do put food and even popsicle sticks in HIS water bowl! To them, it's just one more toy! :lol After seeing the mess they can make in a matter of minutes, I'm glad they don't have a water bowl in their cage! :D Oliver is my neat little fid. He keeps his water bowl sparkling clean and it is rare that I find a speck of a seed in it....unless Big Boi and Shy have visited! :lol

Angelwing
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Mine don't dunk all their food pieces in water, but I have seen them do it a few times. Maybe they think they're cleaning it better. ;) But I think they find it more fun, or like the taste/softness when the food has been dunked. Laharl is the worse for that. Almost everytime he eats I have to change his water!

kimsbirds
02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
All my lovebirds dunk, and up until recently, Abbey didn't dunk. Now, they ALL dunk:roll: Lookin' much like pea soup in several water bowls in this house....buggars !!

graushill
02-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Isn't it uncanny how they seem to always zoom in on the behaviours you would really rather not have them learn from each other? :rolleyes: Good things like liking veggies and fruits, stepping up when they should, paying attention to the "no" command, those kinda things take ages to be passed on. But have one lovie discover a liking for, say, making holes in your favourite curtains, or eating up the wallpaper above the window sill, and all of them follow suit :x. I'm glad none of my birds is a soup maker, because I'm sure all the others would learn to do the same in a matter of seconds.

Gloria

bellarains
02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Mandy,

I also have dunkin birds. Bela(lutino)dunks more than Lacey, and my GCC, Cappie, dunks alot. He mainly dunks his pellets, I am guessing to soften them us a bit? Anyway, yep, I got dunkers:)

Z28Taxman
02-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Ditto likes to keep his water bowl clean. The only thing he dunks in there is Ditto. He's a Dunkin' Ditto! :rofl:

Buy A Paper Doll
02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Milo will trash his water dish within an hour of getting a fresh, clean bowl. I find everything from half-eaten Avi-Cakes to poop squiggles to food-coloring-oozing wooden toy parts in there.

butterfly1061
02-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I have dunkin' birds too. Olivia is the worst. She dunks everything! The water is always whatever shade of color the fruit of the day is that she doesn't want. I also find poopy squigglies, pellets, sunflower shells, safflower shells & paper. Water can be fun :p

Elle
02-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Blu will dunk her toys in the water. She has a lot of wooden toys that she can chew on. It is fascinating to watch her carry a popsicle stick frominsode her cage tot eh top of her cage and dunk it in wter. She will leave it there a few minutes until the wood soften, then chew more at it. Then time for another soak, then more chewing. Sometimes she's soak her sunflower seeds but she has more of an obsession about dunking her toys.
By the way, I keep a small dish with water at all time on top of the cage. She bathes in it, drink in it and soak her toys in it. Needless to say I change that water a lot. She does keep her water in her cage clean. And I make sure that none of her perches are above her seeds and water to help keep them clean while I'm at work.

Regards,

Janie
02-15-2006, 09:26 AM
By the way, I keep a small dish with water at all time on top of the cage. She bathes in it, drink in it and soak her toys in it. Needless to say I change that water a lot. She does keep her water in her cage clean. And I make sure that none of her perches are above her seeds and water to help keep them clean while I'm at work.

Elle, that is similar to the way I have Oliver's cage set up. I keep one half of the top covered with a smooth towel and the food/water dishes inside the cage are under the cover so that they don't get pooped on. I also have another set of dishes on top of the cage, placed on the towel. He had the cleanest and neatest cage for the longest time. Till Big Boi and Shy moved in! :D They are a mess! :lol It takes them less than 5 minutes to turn Oliver's cage into a pigs sty! :D

LauraO
02-15-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't really have many dunkers in my flock. I find more poopers in their water than anything. A lot of my lovies seem to like to poop while standing on their dishes:x . I give Mijo those Kaytee treat boxes and after he eats the treat he likes to dunk the box in water and then chew on it:D .

MrsDutchy
02-15-2006, 12:12 PM
hmmmm neither of my two dunk but it would be cute to see.. just once ;)

Buy A Paper Doll
02-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I had forgotten about this until now. There was that one day when I came home to find their water dish stuffed full with strips of palm leaf. They took apart their pinata toy and put it in the water dish, the little devils.

Kathryn
02-17-2006, 06:03 PM
We have dunkers, divers and no dunkers.

A no dunker paired with a dunker makes a messy dunker.:whistle:

Mollie is a dunker, Midget is not. Their off spring are messy dunkers...except Sunshine. She isn't a dunker..takes that and her lutino color from her daddy.
A diver takes everything to water including paper, veggies, and self. A lettuce leaflet on top of your head is cute. So far Cutie and the green sibling are really messy!

Zipper is a no dunker and Sophia doesn't dunk either. Will have to see what two no dunkers offspring become.:rofl:

Luckys mom
02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Too funny! Lucky is a definate dunker. She seems to have just started to do this within the last month. Quite amusing to see her doing this. She usually only does this just before bedtime-during her snack. I have never seen her doing this throughout the day, but then again she has the run of the whole house during the day, so I may not be seeing her at it.