PDA

View Full Version : Strong smells in the night

chromasnake
09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Sometimes there are strong chemical odors (like sulfur or gas) and more recently, pot smoke from the downstairs neighbor suddenly flooding my apartment at night. last night was horrible with the wacky weed fumes and the smell was still in my apartment this morning. I am just furious and managed to calmly ask my neighbor to take her activities outside (this is a nonsmoking building), but what about what my birds have inhaled all night long? And what about those other smells that come in from outside we can really do nothing about? I know they give me a headache. The birds have shown no ill effects but I still am concerned. They get covered with one or two comforter thick layers which filter out some of it, but still....

thanks.

michael
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Get on the trusty old computer and create a nice " WARNING! The surrounding areas are under video surveilance. Any person/s commiting illegal or illicit activities will be punished to the fullest extent of the law and permanently removed from these premises" sign and paste a couple to hardboard or something and tack them up somewhere for all to see. Maybe a couple "no smoking within 25 ft. of doorways" signs too.:) . But please! Don't compromise your safety. Some individuals will do anything to continue using drugs. We already know birds are well over 100 times more susceptible to smoke or vapors of any kind. No need to explain that any further. That chemical smell though, may in fact be crack cocaine. Or, if you smell anything like fuel or alcohol there may be a meth lab, which would explain lots of smokers outside. That would be life threatening for everyone in the building. I would suggest calling the authorities either way, especially for crack or meth. But, this is very risky as you've already showed them your discontent, not to mention posting it here. You know, I grew up on the streets during the time of drug use acceptance in the 70's. There are lots of things I would probably overlook even today. Alcohol and weed, well, what can I say? And I really prefer to mind my own business, unless it starts to affect me and the poeple I care about, which includes poeple I don't even know, if you know what I mean. Quite frankly, I've had enough of them all. And I've had to witness many a death related to them, including family, friends, and strangers we resuscitated only to find them dead the next day. Wish you the best of luck in avoiding what some poeple feel they just can't live without, regardless of who or what it destroys................Michael and Goofy

linda040899
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
If you don't have an air purifier, sounds like it's time to add one! Mine does a wonderful job, even when there are odd smells outside! Look for a hepa filter rather than one that purifies using ozone.

chromasnake
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Get on the trusty old computer and create a nice " WARNING! The surrounding areas are under video surveilance. Any person/s commiting illegal or illicit activities will be punished to the fullest extent of the law and permanently removed from these premises" sign and paste a couple to hardboard or something and tack them up somewhere for all to see. Maybe a couple "no smoking within 25 ft. of doorways" signs too.:) . But please! Don't compromise your safety. Some individuals will do anything to continue using drugs. We already know birds are well over 100 times more susceptible to smoke or vapors of any kind. No need to explain that any further. That chemical smell though, may in fact be crack cocaine. Or, if you smell anything like fuel or alcohol there may be a meth lab, which would explain lots of smokers outside. That would be life threatening for everyone in the building. I would suggest calling the authorities either way, especially for crack or meth. But, this is very risky as you've already showed them your discontent, not to mention posting it here. You know, I grew up on the streets during the time of drug use acceptance in the 70's. There are lots of things I would probably overlook even today. Alcohol and weed, well, what can I say? And I really prefer to mind my own business, unless it starts to affect me and the poeple I care about, which includes poeple I don't even know, if you know what I mean. Quite frankly, I've had enough of them all. And I've had to witness many a death related to them, including family, friends, and strangers we resuscitated only to find them dead the next day. Wish you the best of luck in avoiding what some poeple feel they just can't live without, regardless of who or what it destroys................Michael and Goofy

Hey Michael, thanks for your concern, but the other smells (aside from the wacky weed or occasional whiff of tobacco from other neighbors) are more industrial and when the wind blows from the north, bringing the north and northeast Portland industrial district smells to us in the southwest. Natural gas type smells and smells like those we used to get in Grand ForKs ND from the sugar beet plant lagoons. (Ach du Lieber---that smelled like stepping in freshly laid dog poop.) This is a pretty good neighborhood and the girl living downstairs is a college student who seems to have just picked up this habit as it has not been an issue in the past.

This is a house divided into three apartments in a nice residential neighborhood. If it were another part of town, though, I could see your points very clearly.

I hope she takes my message to heart and I will post a sign and bring it up to the property management people if it happens again.

Thanks for the tip on the air purifier, Linda, I guess I will put that on the birdie Holiday list. :)

Kirby
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Terry I know what you are going through with the Whacky smells.

The dead end road I live on is now being ENTIRELY RE DONE. So we have the roads being dug up and the caterpillar dozers causing enough exhaust fume to make my clothes stink, and not too mention the paving smell. :x

Thankfully that smell we can block out by shutting our bedroom windows and stuffing the base of our door with towels.

And my work is even worse... I work just around the corner from a brewery and the oat or whatever they boil.. STINKS... it's not a bad smell.. but it's very thick so you breathe it in an you have that smell forever in your nose..

But industrial smells definitely do travel. Especially if it's warm out and there's a haze in the sky... That's the perfect example of our global warming and what we're doing to this planet.
EEEWWWW

michael
10-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Terry.:) Thank gosh it wasn't the drug cartel over zealous Michael was thinking about and "only" the nearby factory/etc with the carcinogenic pollutants that cause birth defects and a host of other illnesses that most local residents can do little about until its too late. Whew! I was really worried there!........Well, unfortunately we have similar smells in our neighborhood as well. Diesel fumes, and chemical plants that operate near what was once the Diamond Alkali, notorious for chromate poisoning and loads of other interesting compounds. And we have a wire coating plant three blocks away. I guess those signs may not do much good :( ...or the authorities either. I know! Lets call a few politicians and invite them over to stay for a week. And if they really like it we'll donate our homes to them for a good cause. :D ..........Michael and Goofy

chromasnake
10-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey Terry.:) Thank gosh it wasn't the drug cartel over zealous Michael was thinking about and "only" the nearby factory/etc with the carcinogenic pollutants that cause birth defects and a host of other illnesses that most local residents can do little about until its too late. Whew! I was really worried there!........Well, unfortunately we have similar smells in our neighborhood as well. Diesel fumes, and chemical plants that operate near what was once the Diamond Alkali, notorious for chromate poisoning and loads of other interesting compounds. And we have a wire coating plant three blocks away. I guess those signs may not do much good :( ...or the authorities either. I know! Lets call a few politicians and invite them over to stay for a week. And if they really like it we'll donate our homes to them for a good cause. :D ..........Michael and Goofy
:rofl:

I had a talk with my neighbor and she was burning sage--not pot. I should have known that since we discussed spiritual practices before. However, she had started it burning and LEFT THE HOUSE! She admits she didn't know any kind of smoke could harm the birds and since she has met my birds and likes them, she promised to be more aware. I was worried all the more about the pot thing because I know this girl is a nursing student and works in a job where she is drug tested. I also know most green things, when burned, will smell like pot. However, it still makes me and the birdies sick, so i can't write it off.)

Yeah, the industrial stuff is bad for all of us. It is normally not so bad where I am, as I said, just when the wind blows a certain way. But it always seems to be the middle of the night when the worst ones happen.

I truly appreciate your advice and concern and input! Thank you!