Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what to do about a christmas tree??

Default Re: what to do about a christmas tree??

lol I have the answer to everyone's Tree Concerns!!

Make a popcorn tree!! One of my good friends here on the island has macaws and an assortment of lovebirds and in their bird room she has a large twig (Ill find out exactly what kind of tree it was from) and on it for her lovebirds she would tie some string around tonnes of pieces of popcorn, avicakes, fruit, veggies (and other edible munchies) and hung them from the branches then put the tree into her bird room and put some extra toys, bells etc... and let the birds loose
    She said the tree was bare in 2 days and there was about 3 bags of popcorn on that thing too hahahah!!!

This will be my first Christmas with my two and I'll be making a mini popcorn tree when I have my time off this year!!
    To avoid having your birds get on your tree... during this time of the year when the decorations are put up, move the birds to a different room if possible. AND if your birds can access the tree by flying maybe it's time to clip their wings haha

Well, what I ended up doing is going out and getting a bit smaller of an artificial tree-----the one we have is kind of big and pain to put up if we end up having to take it back down because of Pip. I put up the smaller tree on a table and it is pre-lit with lights-----put on some garland and some ornaments and then the test------what will Pip think of this tree?? Depending on his reaction will determine if we put up the big one next year. I can't believe it, but Pip is actually leaving the tree alone! He pretty much ingnores it! I saw him looking over at it when I first let him out after I put it up, but after that, he has been acting like it isn't even there! I will give it time to see if he starts getting curious, and how long he goes without showing interest in it. It's real easy to take right down in a short time if he starts getting too interested, but so far so good! I would have bet money too that he would be checking it out and getting into it too!

I found what my lovie is scared of is TINSEL...thats why they dont go near the tree.I hung some around the windows and she usually flys there to look out but when the tinsel was there she kept her distance from it.

Its really a good thing that your bird fears tinsel. Tinsel is made of coated plastics that can be very harful to birds. Even deadly. Usually this and other various holiday decorations should be kept clear of our avian friends and family as they often attract their attention instead.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael