Thread: Lovebird Taming and Trusting?

Question Lovebird Taming and Trusting?

Hi Everybody,

I just got my lovebird a week ago. I'm not sure how to go about taming her. I got her at this pet shop where this lady was taming her. Also she was hand fed as a baby. She won't let me touch her but if I open the cage door she will sometimes come out. She usually will just run under the bed though. How can I get her to trust me? Thanks

Default Re: Lovebird Taming and Trusting?

Quote Originally Posted by rockursoxoff View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I just got my lovebird a week ago. I'm not sure how to go about taming her. I got her at this pet shop where this lady was taming her. Also she was hand fed as a baby. She won't let me touch her but if I open the cage door she will sometimes come out. She usually will just run under the bed though. How can I get her to trust me? Thanks
    Welcome rockursoxoff . Generally, the best way to start is to practice the "step up" command. This link will help explain a bit of the how's and why's of what makes this so important. http://www.parrotparrot.com/articles/aa112099.htm

There are some other factors that can also help along the way in providing a more comfortable relationship between you and your new companion. One is "Peaches" true gender. Affordable DNA testing is for the most part the only accurate way to determine a lovebirds true gender. While both male and female lovebirds make wonderful loving pets, females can have "nesting" behavior that may need careful attention. Has she been DNA'd?

Wing clips are another way to not only help tame some lovebirds, but can also keep them from injuries as a result of hitting windows and other objects especially if their very active. Escaping through open doors and windows can happen in the blink of an eye, so really clipping for the most part is in "their" best interest and the benefit to you is an easier approach to taming your lovebird. Keep in mind this must be done correctly so as to limit flight and not "eliminate it". Have your lovies wings been clipped yet?

I'm going to add the most important method in helping to tame/train your lovebird. Loads of love, commitment, and patience. These will always give you the advantage. Hopefully some others here will add their chirps and peeps........
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Hi and welcome!

Congratulations on your new lovie! They are wonderful little companions and I am thrilled to have three in my life.

Check out the "Behavior & Taming" section of the forum for some great tips on starting the taming process. You can read pages of threads that will help. Michael mentions a wing clip and IMHO that is a must and the first thing I'd have done. Many of us do our own clips but it was at least a year or two before I felt comfortable doing it myself so you might want this done (at least in the beginning) by an avian vet or someone who works with birds and knows what they're doing. A bad wing clip is just that, bad! It's hard to start a bonding process when a bird is flying away from you and until they start trusting you, they are going to fly away.

Since you are new to birds I'd like to suggest that you find a good certified avian vet. It's always better to have one before you need it than in the middle of an emergency situation. Plus, birds need yearly "well" exams just like dogs and cats do.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

Congratulations on your new lovebird!!!! The key to taming is patience and consistency. You want to build a loving and trusting relationship with your lovie for the longterm.

While the step up command is essential, it may be your lovie isn't ready for that as he/she is unsure. I don't know how hand tame your baby is at this point so it's hard to say where you should start. It's also important to realize most lovies, even the most tame, are more likely not to like being petted. I have a ton of lovebirds. If they have mates they don't want me to scritch them, and who can blame them. A beak is much more efficient than my nubs. The birds who do want scritches only want them on their terms, and this is usually when they are sleepy or relaxing. For the most part, lovebirds are rambunctious and would rather be out causing mischief than sitting still getting scrithces.

I suggest that you read over the taming and behavior section to find some tips. I also suggest you read through this thread as it gives some great info. Then ask any other questions you may have. The thread I posted is a great place to start and has a bunch of great info.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/communi...ighlight=tango

Good luck and let us know how it goes
    Laura O

Welcome! I brought home our lovebird a little over a week ago. He is also a little hand shy. I've started working on his trust and just reassuring him that I am not a mean giant. LOL.

I had been just taking him out of his cage myself, but I've stopped that and open his cage door, put a little of his favorite food in my hand and let him get up on me. He's still a little weary, but he wants his fill.

The other thing I do is talk to him almost constantly. I read to him, talk about random things or sing songs (I'm pretty sure his favorite is "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"). I've also been trying to make him a true Red Sox fan (with a name like Fenway, you'd think we'd be set).

I'd read that talking calmly lets the bird get used to your voice and reassures him/her that you are not there to hurt him/her.

Good luck and welcome! I joined this site just over a week ago and love it! It's an excellent resource and the people here are helpful and friendly.

welcome to the best forum, with supportive, friendly advice and encouragement always avaliable!!!

Everyone has already spoken about the key elements to training and buidling trust - patience, patience, and then..... some more patience. It takes effort, but with time, your lovie will begin to trust that you are someone she wants to be with, not something to be scared of. It's only been a week, so give her time to settle in, talk softly to her, even through the cage bars, spend time sitting with her quietly, and slowly but surely, you will see changes. Read through the behaviour and taming section for some great tips on taming, as we have all been in the same place you are now. I have a 3 year old male lovie, who has become a velcroe birdie, attached like glue to me and the other members of my family, but it took time. Good luck!!
    Robyn & Kiwi