Thread: Attachment issues/seperation anxiety?

Unhappy Attachment issues/seperation anxiety?

My lovebird has always been very attached and loyal to me. However, I am very busy and unable to give him as much attention as I feel I should, and I am moving. I decided it would be best to find my bird a new home, and I found a great loving woman to take him. I know I did the right thing, but now I am feeling aweful!! I feel like I've abandoned him and I'm afraid of how my sudden removal from his life will affect him. Perhaps I am being over sensative about it and he'll just go happily chirping along...but I was wandering how much lovebirds are affect by change and removal from the person they've become attached to. Do lovebirds get seperation anxiety? Will he be fine? Please help ease my worry and guilt!

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Attachment issues/seperation anxiety?

I adopted my first lovie, Oliver, when he was around 7 years old. I can tell you that in his case it was the luckiest day of his life. He was a little shy in the first few months being in a new home with three strangers but I showered him with attention and he was glued to my shoulder in less than a month. Full blown trust took around 6 months. His former owner, a teenage girl who was going off to college, came to see him during Christmas break, 4 months after I adopted him and while he was friendly to her and even snuggled on her shoulder, I think he was relieved when she left w/o him. She still drops by every 6 months to a year but he will no longer go to her at all.

If you know this new owner is a good bird person, I think he will adjust fairly quickly. Some anxiety I'm sure but with lots of attention, kindness and love, I think he'll be OK.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy