Thread: Should I seperate?

Default Should I seperate?

my lovies are happy to be together 80% of the time but every now and then the older bird Keiko will try to attack the new one.
    First it was just a litttle foot biting but last night in their cage he was chasing her off everywhere she wanted to go.
    I think he is just a bully..but she seems to put up with it and when I do try to seperate them she screams for him.Battered wife Syndrome my partner calls it.
    I have ordered a dna kit so when it arrives I can finally find out if I have two boys or a boy/girl or two girls combo.
    If they are two boys or two girls can they live together safely or will there be fights? thanks

Default Re: Should I seperate?

I think DNA sexing both of your lovebirds is the best idea. If you happen to have 2 hens, the older one could seriously injure or even kill the younger one, even though the younger one screams when they are separated!

If you find that Keiko is a female and the younger one is a male, the problem is that the younger one is immature and can't satisfy her needs so he gets nipped at/chased. Time will take care of that problem but for now, you will have to either supervise them carefully or keep them separated when you can't.

I would keep them in separate cages when you are not there and at night. That's when the younger one is at greatest risk for injury. Once you know their genders, decisions will be easier.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.