Thread: Uh oh.

Default Uh oh.

Fenway was hatched in the November/December time frame. I'm seeing more and more signs that he's a she.

Fenway has also fallen in love with the top of the broom. He/she makes love clicky noises at it, invites it into his/her cage, and even tries to make it go into the happy hut with him/her. He/she will rub his face on it and all around, just love the broom (sadly, I am kind of jealous of the broom, LMAO!)

The other night, Fenway started trying to mate with the broom (I believe). He/she will spread his/her wings slightly and back up towards the broom, tail up.

How can I get him/her to stop this behavior? If he is a she, I do not want eggs! Fenway is far too young to be laying. I can't really hide the broom either, as Fenway is the reason why I sweep so much. LOL. I thought of buying a new broom, but I don't know if the same thing will happen (the broom we have now, the top is green). The broom is kept in a broom/mop holder in the laundry room and he knows the sound when I take the broom out. I'm hoping when I get his new cage it might help, because he will be upstairs or in the living room, but for now, he is in the dining area (and for now, that's really the only place there is room).

I'm not worried about the broom as much as I'm worried that he/she is trying to mate with things. I know they can start laying around 6 months, but really, I don't want eggs at all, let alone this early. I rearrange the cage often, but I'm not sure how long this will work for. The only thing that really premotes nesting in his cage is a happy hut, which I take out during the day.

Cindy N. Guest

Default Re: Uh oh.

Hello Kristina,

You may need to change Fenway's name. Can you not keep her in a cage while your cleaning?

Cindy

Funny how an unusual name like Fenway is so popular on here!
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Kristina....

Maybe you could just change the way you spell it. (Not that I don't like "her" having the same name as my little guy... )

Fenwaye??

Fenwiegh?

Then again, Fenway is somewhat of an androgynous name. It's part of the reason I picked it for my little green monster. (aside from my illness that is the insane love of all things Red Sox )

WOW! A hen! Good luck!

Carrie, Fenway, Wrigley & Gracie (Scottie Puppy)

Chelsea Amazing Grace R.I.P. 01/24/92-01/18/08

As much flack as hens get i find them to be the smartest and most crafty.
    I wouldnt change boo for the world no matter how hard she bites or how nesty she gets!
    P.s dont tell her i said that her little ego is already big as it is!
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

Cindy N. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thebubbleking View Post
    I wouldnt change boo for the world no matter how hard she bites or how nesty she gets!
    I have found when it comes to lovebirds they don't care what people think. Stubborn animals. You tell them no and they just don't give up when there interested in something that they shouldn't be. So Boo probably won't feel hurt at all.

Cindy

It's usually just the broom or mop that she's attracted to. LOL. She gets really excited about the mop because when you ring it out, it clicks.

Even when Fenway is in the cage, she will go CRAZY over the broom. Last night when I swept and mopped, she was ready for bed and in her happy hut. She jumped out and started making happy clicks. LOL.

I don't think I'll change the name. LOL. As much as I think Fenway is a boy's name, I still love it. I thought of possibly changing it to Tessie, but she knows her name already. LOL.

Carrie - Speaking of the Red Sox, did you know you can get David Ortiz on your voicemail? It's a promotion by XM Radio. You can also send messages to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by thebubbleking View Post
    As much flack as hens get i find them to be the smartest and most crafty.
    Agreed. I wouldn't trade in my rotten little hen for anything!
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    It's usually just the broom or mop that she's attracted to. LOL. She gets really excited about the mop because when you ring it out, it clicks.
    This is exactly why my Milo has a crush on the computer mouse. Clicky clicky.
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

Cindy N. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy A Paper Doll View Post
    This is exactly why my Milo has a crush on the computer mouse. Clicky clicky.
    Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if that is why my Chatter nips my fingers when I use the mouse. Perhaps, a jealousy issue.

Cindy