Thread: Time out of cage

Default Time out of cage

How much time does everyones lovebird spend out of the cage?
    I'm just curious if I have my guy out enough.
    First thing in the morning I let him out to play on his gym for about 30 minutes then after I do my morning stuff I get him and put him on my shoulder while I play on the computer/watch tv (that's where he is now) then when my daughter wakes up I put him back on his gym to play or back in his cage. At noon is when I chop veggies and let him hop on the coffee table and eat then back in the cage he goes so I can get some things done. I do this off and on through out the day.
    The total time out of cage is between 3-5 hours, about 1/4 of that time is spent with me.
    Is this enough? He seems to want to be out 24 hours a day. When I walk past his cage he sticks his little forehead against the bars for me to scratch and if I stick my finger all the way in he does somersaults on it.

Default Re: Time out of cage

Ha!!!!! All birds should be so lucky .

It sounds like your little one has is made, and obviously very loved. The time out you mentioned is very sufficient, the only thing I would suggest is if you can not see him, the cage is the safe place for him. These little ones are such little curious explorers, and they can, and will get into anything
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

OH then I must have my birdies out TOO much...I open the cage at 7am and close it at 7pm and they are out all day in my spare room I have dubbed the 'birdy room'...they do poop on the carpet but when it's dry its easy to suck up in the vaccum cleaner.They have their wings clipped so they basically hang around on top of the cage on the playgym or on the ground where I have another self-made gym and little cat balls for them to play with (Keiko LOVES them),they also sit on a deak fan I have on the floor that is broken (this is where Mardi loves to sit most*)..occasionally they will go into the cage for a nap or food and when it gets to about 6.45pm or starting to get dark they are both inside the cage and I just close the door..This only happened AFTER I had their wings clipped...before that they were naughty and kept sitting on the bookshelves and wouldn't return to their cage,the vet butchered their wings but at least they are behaving now :-)

My first lovie completely spoiled my expectations of behavior... after he almost flew away (out the door & on the powerlines across the street before he flew down at our begging!) after the 1st year we had him, he got clipped & we kept up the clipping.

But! Mom would open up his cage in the AM, he'd waddle down the hall to my bedroom (I was in the 3rd grade) wake me up by dancing & gacking in my face...and then I'd put him on the floor & he'd go chew paper under my bed. We'd go to school/work & come home to find him on the top of the curtains. This was his daily routine. Spoiled rotten! His cage was left open all day, and everything was easy to climb.

None of our other lovies since have been responsible enough to leave out alone all day.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Fenway comes out when I am doing my makeup for work and when I get on the computer in the morning. That time is around 30-45 minutes.

When I get home from work, he does the dishes with me and sits on my shoulder while I clean up the house. He goes back in the cage when dinner is started. That time is around 1-3 hours.

After dinner, he comes out again, to clean up from dinner and play. Depending on how tired we both are, he stays out for another hour or two. It's fairly easy to have him out because he just likes to sit on my shoulder. He has one of those jungle gyms and he rarely uses it. He just plays on me. LOL! His newest game is crawling inside my shirt and poking his head out at my collar. He will sit in there and sing. LMAO!

I feel better now. Jack makes me feel like I'm neglecting him when I leave him in the cage. They are just so friggin cute and lovable, it's hard to say no to them.