Thread: Lovebird Joy was hanging by a wire....and

Exclamation Lovebird Joy was hanging by a wire....and

Lovebird Joy was hanging by a wire....and

SHE WAS SAVED!!!!!

A few nights ago, I went in to say goodnight to the birds and turn off the light, and I saw Joy hanging from a wire on the side of the cage IN A PANIC! There is a tall, slender glass feeder with a narrow open space at the bottom to eat from, and it kept moving and slipping, so I put a stickywire on the top to hold it. I watched it for days and she wasn't doing anything to it, so I relaxed and left it there. It was a covered sticky like you use for closing bread. Now it had her in a death grip!

Well, I panicked and went in to remove the wire from the cage -- which was hard to do when you're frightened. It took quite a while and then grasping her, I took her out of the cage and worked on the wire which was around her neck. This is a very small stickywire circle, I didn't think she would get it around her neck (can't figure out how she did it) -- thought it was too small. Now I couldn't get it off, and she was in a fright-panic trying to get out from being killed by it. She was biting me furiously, and I was so worried that it would kill her before I got it off. Slowly I untwisted it; I couldn't figure out which way it was bent, but finally I got it off and she could breathe and recover. I put her totally FREAKED OUT back in the cage and looked to see if there was any blood. She ran into her cozy nest and hid! Thank heavens she was alright!

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T USE ANY OF THOSE STICKIES ON ANYTHING WHERE THE BIRD CAN GET TO IT. DON'T USE THEM AT ALL!
    Dancelady Jan

Lovies Julie and Jesse; Jasmine, Jazz, Joy; Mandy, Meryll, Mitchell; Kelly, Kirby, Katy; Marley, Mya; Merlot; Cats -- Molly and Michelle

Default Re: Lovebird Joy was hanging by a wire....and

Wow! I got all tense just reading about you and Joy's ordeal. So good to hear she's alright now. I would definitely say you saved her life. Thanks for sharing what could have instead been a tragic story. This might just help prompt a few poeple to double check the safety of their birds environment on a more regular basis. I know I will!................
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

After my own scare i am glad it turned out good, Nothing is to small to dark to dust or to nasty for a lovebird to get into!
    They sure do keep you on your toes and test your heart muscle lol
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I know what you mean, Michael, I was stressing for them both too, reading that story! Sounds like you did a great job though Jan, its one of my biggest fears - not being able to help or being too late.
    Lovies - I'm learning more everyday, they just try everything! Silly little inquisitive, nibbly buggers .... Vigilance is key!!
    ~ Toneea
    Snot and Booger (paired peachface lovebirds)
    Abby (peachface brat)
    Lucy and Zeus (kelpie x's)
    Don't judge me.