Thread: How other birds cope with the death of a flock member

Default How other birds cope with the death of a flock member

After the death of Hana, I have been noticing slight difference in Flora, our male bird's behavior. We have 2 female birds. They are even more closer without Hana who used to prevent them from being cozy. Flora (male) now spends more time with me, but he now bites as if he is either complaining to me or unhappy with something. He is usually the quietest bird among the flock and he rarely bites, but a last couple of days he has changed. I just have hard time understanding what he wants. We used to have 4 birds (one male and three females), now down to 3 (one male and two females). Both females are not interested in him. Hana was somewhat ok with him, but they never got cozy. Do you know what he wants? They are all in separate cages. They spend time together only during out of cage time.

Default Re: How other birds cope with the death of a flock member

It is hard to know sometimes what a bird is thinking and feeling. When I lost Kiowa his mate Baggy did start biting. But I am not sure if was due to him passing or her having a baby in nest. I would just give him time and love and see were he goes from there. He knows your sad i am sure and notices a difference in the flock.

Steph
    Lovebirds fly into you heart and never let go.

Flora (male) bites less today, but I will keep eyes on him as well as two other females.

After the death of his mate of 13.5 years, my male lovebird Squeaky was different. He would come to me sometimes and other times he'd ignore me. He seemed moody actually. And he was more nippy than he had been. That was 6 months ago and he seems a bit more contented now. Maybe there is an adjustment period for them.
    Christine, Ducky & Zoe

RIP
    Squeaky (1994-2012)
    RIP Blue Meanie (1994 - 2007)

When boo lost sugar baby she definately changed became more aggresive i dont know if it was because sugar was the alpha bird and boo became alpha bird when he passed or what but to this day she is more aggresive and tnds to do what she wants when she wants basicly does her own thing but she does have her moments, I guess its a long way of saying in my case boo is definately a different bird then before sugar died but i love her for her not for how she acts or looks like Also she was 4 months old when she lost sugar baby and now she is a year and 9 months so age and nestiness may be a factor.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....