Thread: Do I spend enough time with my lovie??

Default Do I spend enough time with my lovie??

I am a really busy person who works full time and has a class..I take my bird out about and hour a day..I wish I could take him out longer (I am working on that) but my birds doesnt really let me cup him in my hands and cuddle with me. He does get on my finger and shoulder he doesnt bite but does nibble sometimes...I do love him alot and dont really want to get him a mate. I say him but im not to sure if he is a female or a male.
    any advice?

Default Re: Do I spend enough time with my lovie??

Brooke, I really don't have much advice but I don't think that is enough interaction time (1 hr. a day) for a single bird. Does he/she play in the cage? My three are out of their cages at least 8 hours a day and while that much time is not necessary, I'd hate to cage them without at least 2 to 4 hours of outside "momma" time.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

ok! yes he has alots of toys in his cage and he likes to play with them!

I work full time and have my lovie out for at least 3 hrs each evening. I completely understand what you are saying about being busy, but honestly the only way you are going to get your lovie cuddly is to spend more time with him.
    Becky
    A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. -Maya Angelou

I agree even if it is a few hours before bedtime a fidparent and fid need bonding time and even if you are doing homework whatever you can sit next to the cage where lovie can see you and talk to you and feel secure you are there.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

Most of my birds, and even the tamest of my lovies, don't like to be cupped in hands and cuddled. Having your bird out on your shoulder while your working on the computer, homework, or just watching t.v. is a great way to spend time with them out of the cage. As your lovie gets more comfortable out and about they will play with stuff you are doing and it will become more natural to interact with them. I also have different play areas in different rooms so my lovies, and other birds can travel around with me.

The more you have your lovie on you the more you will get used to the nibbling. In fact, I have quite a few lovies who love to gently, and some not so gently nibble on ears and preen hair.

I agree with Janie, an hour really isn't enough time out of the cage. Try and get some more time in whenever you can and think about some other creative ways to spend time with your lovie like eating breakfast or getting ready in the morning.

Your lovie sounds sweet!

Laura O

I work full time, yet I manage to get lots of time with my lovie and my other birds. I work evenings so we have all day unless I have an appt. or have to run out for something, which I try to save for my days off. On my days off I have most of the day and night and they are out quite a bit. Now that Pip's wings have been clipped again, most times he will stay in his own area, cage and playgym, but when I leave the room I just take him with me---he usually gets right on my head, or else I pick up his playgym and he comes along with me. When I get home at night we get a little more time in then also----I figure we spend enough time with Pip because when I put my face up close to him, he appears to be trying to feed me! especially when I tuck him in for the night! I know every bird is different, but my lovie wants OUT of cage every chance he can get! he used to be out of cage every minute we were home----but we have a new birdie now that he can't be totally trusted with while out, so we have to work it out and he does get some time in cage, but he doesn't seem too mind much and still gets lots of time out of cage-----it seems as if all my birds realize that there are times that we are not here and don't mind being in at those times----it's the times when there's people here and things going on I think that make them want to be out and part of it all!
    One hour a day is really not alot of time. If you fix him a nice play area, hang things on the outside of cage, like an extra perch and toys and a playgym, he will probably hang out there alot when out.

I usually work 6 days a week and Fenway spends at least 3-4 hours out a day.

He comes out in the morning when I am getting ready for work. He talks to the bird in the mirror when I do my makeup and get dressed.

I do most of the cleaning while he is with me. He loves it. He does the dishes with me and he knows that when we're done, he gets to take a bath or drink from the faucet (it's filtered). He also likes to perch in the dishwasher when it's open.

He loves the vacuum and has to chirp louder than it. And of course, loves the broom. He will even come out when I mop. Even when I'm not working in the house, he will go outside with me in his travel cage and talk to the birds outside while I work in the garden.

I try to keep him away from the computer because he poops on the keyboard and thinks it is "his" and becomes aggressive when I try to touch the keyboard. LOL. He usually watches TV with me as well.

There are many different times in the day when you can take your bird out. Fenway just loves to spend time with me and gets to play with things he can't while he's in his cage. His favorite out of cage toys are a soda bottle cap and that little squiggly thing that comes off a gallon of milk when you open it. He is like a baby, he will drop the cap, so it makes a noise and then cry when I don't pick it up off the floor. LMAO!