Thread: afraid of my hands?

Default afraid of my hands?

R & J will sit anywhere on me, give me kisses, "groom me" and will step up and get on my hands even in their cages but for some reason i can't pet them they seem scared of me when i try to. They only seem scared of my hands when i try to pet them and none other time I don't really understand it. Am I doing something to make them scared or are they more of "We'll let ya love us on my our own terms and we don't like being petted"?
    Miranda
    Romeo , Juliet , Joey RIP:7-1-08

-------------------------------
    "may my heart always be open to little
    birds who are the secrets of living..."
    -E.E. Cummings

Default Re: afraid of my hands?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong and it sounds like R & J are perfectly normal and tame lovies. I've noticed over the years that most lovies aren't really into being petted especially if they have a mate. How tame the lovies are often doesn't have anything to do with what you describe. Scritches and preening are utilitarian and your lovies have each other to preen. So there is no need for head petters or scritches. I would just keep playing with them in a way that makes them comfortable and have fun!
    Last edited by LauraO; 06-01-2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Laura O

Okay thanks!!! It's good to know that i'm not doing anything wrong.
    Miranda
    Romeo , Juliet , Joey RIP:7-1-08

-------------------------------
    "may my heart always be open to little
    birds who are the secrets of living..."
    -E.E. Cummings

My lovie HATES being touched by hands! He will step up if he's on the floor, but that's the only time he will! He likes to ride around my head and climb on me and will fly over and land on me at times-----I can tell that he loves me and I am doing nothing wrong because at night when I tuck him in for the night he gets all close to my face and I think he tries to feed me! I have to be careful of him nipping! but anyway, what I have learned is that this is just his personality and how he is. All birds have different likes and dislikes----he just doesn't like hands, and that is fine! We still have alot fun together!

Sunshine used to let me pet him and give scritches but once he started doing the swishy with boo that went out the window he thinks hes a big boy now.. but i can step up etc just no petting or scritches they have each other for that i am just the food and water slave, hey slave wheres my millet?!?!?!?
    lol
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....