Thread: STOP IT!!!!

Default STOP IT!!!!

I am getting annoyed now with Keiko and his gacking on his ladder rung....he only does the second rung and goes from one end to the other till its coated,the extra bits fall onto the cage grate and build up into a pile,so far its a greeny/blue colour.how can I make him stop it?
    I have to clean the ladder twice a day...does gacking so much make him malnourished?..I have 4 bowls full of food just incase... He usually does it after his 15 min making love to his happy hut time.

Default Re: STOP IT!!!!

Gacking will not make a bird malnourished. It's very natural for a bird and it's one of those behaviors that you pretty much have to accept, as it's hard to modify.

If he only does this after a session with his Happy Hut, you may try removing the Hut during the day and just give it to him for sleeping purposes at night. With the Hut gone, he may find something else to love on but it's worth a try.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

OK, Linda, I have to ask, WHEN does a gacker stop or at least slow down????? Shy gacks from sunup till sundown and probably in the middle of the night, too. I've considered removing his birdie buddy, aka, his gack mate, but am afraid he might take that out on Oliver and Big Boi and because there has always been harmony with three in the same room, I don't want to upset that apple cart. I guess I should try removing it and observe his behavior at the same time. He is a hoot when I remove it to replace it with a clean one (I have TWELVE because of him!) and follows me (and that dirty buddy) every where I go until the old one is in the washing machine and the new one is in the cage.

I cleaned my bird room yesterday and the only sign of a mess today is the pile of gack on the floor right below Shy's spot. He gacks so much that there is always a pile on the buddy, plus what's fallen to the cage bottom, plus what falls to the floor. His weight is fine so that's not an issue, thank heavens, but I am sick of the gack. He's three years old now.....please tell me he'll stop soon! BTW, Big Boi goes through the gacking motions but doesn't bring up any seed and THAT I can deal with!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

well I moved the ladder and his gacking has stopped...

Mydoona, I'm glad to hear that the gacking has stopped. For now, anyway.
    It could be worse. Milo doesn't gack often but when he does ... it's on my toes.
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen