Thread: territorial over one toy

Default territorial over one toy

Beezle has always been rather territorial over his tiki hut... it's two coconut halves with string and beads that I fill with beads for him to chomp on. The thing is if I try to take something out of said tiki hut or put more in he will go after fingers like they are the devil...

normally beezle doesn't do anything of the sort he is rather laid back and never aggressive. I'm wondering if this toy is somehow bad for him? should I let him play with it or should I remove it from his cage? I had switched it out a while ago and just put it back in the other day...

I'm a little worried for my parents because they have to take him out at the end of the day sometimes and I don't want them getting bit.

Default Re: territorial over one toy

eh?

First, parrots generally don't view receiving toys or food as a "giving" gesture on your part even though for the latter they will persistantly come back for. After all, food is very important to their survival. So is housing materials or anything else that may exercize their interest. Because of the built in "survival instinct" anything that lands in their possession is now "THEIRS". Try to take it away, and they have no concept you were the friendly being that gave it to them in the first place, only that they need it for their survival and your hand is threatening to take it away. Needless to say, this is why many a bird has become "very upset" at the prospect of anyone or anything trying to remove their happy hut, toys, food bowl, etc, that may "need their protection". While this doesn't mean their not willing to share with other flock mates (like you) their food or living quarters, there can still be some items that are totally off limits. And why shouldn't it be? Its theirs and they need it!

Really, its a good thing that they have possessions ( especially toys ) that are important to them. This helps keep them both active and occupied so they don't start other nasty habits such as feather picking or neurotic behavior like screaming all day. I think if a toy or whatever helps keep him occupied and poses no threat to his safety I'd let him keep it and try to find some way to avoid being bit. Even if you do have to remove it or him for a good cleaning once in awhile...............
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Peaches is territorial over one toy. He has had it since he came to our home!

He usually nuzzles next to it when he sleeps.

If I just want to do a quick water change and I want him to stay in his cage, all I have to do is grab the hook of the cherished toy from the top of the cage and jingle it around and he loudly states, "CHIRRRRRRP" (translation, MY TOY!!!!) and jumps over to protect his, "friend." LOL

Take care, Lisa

my Keiko is territorial over his happy hut and when I go to take it down to clean it, he bites my fingers and runs back and forth in the cage.When its clean and dry and I put it back he climbs on it and humps it.