Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: To Fly or Not to Fly

Thumbs up Re: To Fly or Not to Fly

To clip or not to clip is a very personal decison and we always advise you to do what's best for your own bird. I know that doesn't help solve the dilema, but no one knows your bird better than you do.

I agree, as will many other members, that it's safety first. A few of my own are clipped but most are not. I have 2 older dogs and, like you, I make sure there's no interaction between them. All exits from my home lead to an enclosed area so escape to the great outdoors is unlikely, even though it's possible under the right circumstances. What you might want to work on is having him fly to you on command. Use a specific word and make sure that's all you use that word or command for. Most will come for treats so that's the enticement you can use when he follows your command. The term for this is "flight recall" and there are bird owners who use it outside.....not me, however! You should be able to do a search to find out more information, just practice inside.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: To Fly or Not to Fly

I've decided not to clip, at least for now. Being eat by a dog or cat seems like a more likely risk at my house than flying outdoors! Hope that none of it happens though :P

Unhappy Re: To Fly or Not to Fly

hello! im new here, and i have a 3 months old lovie, Peachie. at first when it is not clipped it will fly around the highest points of my room and was happy! didnt have much trouble putting it back into the cage. But i still went ahead and clipped its wings for safety/training purposes, however it began crashing into walls, etc. and i took it to the vet. it used to be happier and more active and not scared of my hands(will brush against my hands etc), now its really sad and scared. i feel so guilty i really hope Peachie will forgive me soon

Hi

Our two lovebirds are not clipped. They love flying around the house and fly to me when I call. We had to make some changes in the house to ensure they would not eat all my girlfriends orchids etc
    A very good article is the one written by Michael of trainedparrot.com. In case it has not been posted it here yet: http://trainedparrot.com/Clipping/

Best wishes
    Maarten

Thank you for sharing this information! As I've stated many times, flight feather clipping is a very personal decision but parrot owners need to know the options they have so they can at least make an educated decision. I, myself, only have 1 parrot, Ginger my CAG, who has to be clipped and that's for the safety of my home!!!! Ginger is the most destructive parrot I've ever owned and she can do a LOT of damage in just a very short time. I've had her both ways and she invariably gets into trouble when I least expect it. She knows that "go home" means I don't like where she is or what she's doing and she will follow the command, but staying where I've sent her only lasts for a short couple of minutes and she's right back to where she shouldn't be! At the moment, her flights are growing back in but it's still amazing just where she can go, even with limited flight!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.