Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Fly or Not to Fly

Smile Re: To Fly or Not to Fly

Our new birds came to us clipped and I'm glad they were. Bea started "practicing". As she got older (she's 5 months old now) she would flap her wings as she stood on the bottom of the cage to build strength. Just before we got her clipped again she was able to fly from room to room so it was time. I went through the guilt thing about this but honestly believe I'm doing what's best for her. Pallete, our gcc who's 5 3/4 months old) on the other hand, isn't much of a flyer so we'll play it by ear with her. Ultimately it's up to you and when you make a decision from the heart it will be right for you no matter what you decide.

Default Re: To Fly or Not to Fly

I clipped both mine and although they are both tamer, I wouldn't do it again. Keiko broke a couple of wings trying to fly when he couldn't and now he has his wings back is too scared to even try flying and runs around eveywhere.

In Spain is not very common to clip lovebirds, but bigger parrots are beggining to suffer it
    I think is not necessary to do it, we can get security for our little friends in many other ways... To clip wings means to restrict their movement, and that is more dangerous than many people think.

Personally I use mosquito net and the windows aren´t a problem. I can open them without any risk.

For the doors we have to pay attention, but it isn´t so difficult.

Anyway I think we should never have lovebirds out of their cages if we aren´t with them. A clipped parrot unattended could die easily because of a lot of things, so I´m sure that the security of this method is not so clear...
    Last edited by belenny; 07-28-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Please. Links only in all forums except "Photo stories"
    http://i44.tinypic.com/rje9eu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by belenny View Post
    In Spain is not very common to clip lovebirds, but bigger parrots are beggining to suffer it
    I think is not necessary to do it, we can get security for our little friends in many other ways... To clip wings means to restrict their movement, and that is more dangerous than many people think...............
    Hi Belenny. Welcome to our community!..........

First, I have to agree that to a certain point clipping wings can be dangerous. Without added precautions, a newly clipped parrot can strike a wall or other object, the results which could be devastating. .... If not done properly, a bad clip can initiate feather plucking, a behavior we understand is extremely difficult if not impossible to resolve. .... While there are such cases that do exist, as a result of clipping alone they are relatively far and few. Really, if those who choose to clip their parrots wings would do so in a responsible manner, these problems can easily be avoided while at the same time ensuring the safety of their fids.

If for any other reason a birds wings SHOULD be clipped would be for its own safety. ... For one thing, parrots are very clever in that they can chew or manipulate themselves through various types of screens in a matter of seconds, or, may systematically work in short intervals to eventually find a way through it. While most of us do our best to avoid these circumstances by supervising our fids, there may be other situations that are simply unavoidable. For instance, some households may have several members (most notoriously children ) who come and go with little conscience. Other factors, such as keeping multiple parrots where one aggressive subject threatens serious harm to another, may be a more reasonable alternative than total confinement.

Certainly, all fidparents should take great care in contemplating whether or not to clip their birds wings, mind you, i'm also a firm believer that if its not absolutely necessary, then DON'T do it. Afterall, in striving to keep our birds healthy both physically and emotionally, we must provide as much freedom and exercise as possible. .... On the other hand, if it keeps your bird/s from finding their way outside the safe confines of your home, that could spare them a slow death from starvation and/or freezing, etc.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Well, I know this is a controversial topic because I have talked about it a lot of times with people whose parrot were clipped, but I think that never is necessary because there are always another options.

With children I think that some mosquito net are enough. Doors can be controlled by adults, you should never leave your lovie alone although he´s clipped... If you are in the room you control the door, it´s simple. If you can´t control that in my opinion a bird is not your best option like a pet.
    I love horses but not have space enough, should I have it tied on my little garden with frequent exercise or simply shouldn´t I get it?

There are a lot of reasons for not to clip a parrot because of his physical and mental health, but the reasons for clipping him are always more related to the owner (his comfort). When the parrot is already at home and you find this problems I agree with you, I would prefer clipping him to risking his life, but if you buy a bird with the idea of clipping him you´re wrong in my opinion. It´s a matter of respect like mine with horses...

For me there´s nothing like seeing how my lovebrids enjoy flying. They don´t need a reason, sometimes they simply fly aimlessly and they are so happy...
    Last edited by belenny; 07-28-2009 at 03:09 PM.

I will chime in, i let mine fly but under constant supervison have different types of parrots they dont always get along heck alot of times the lovies dont get along, not to mention chewing on wood molding, getting into dusty nasty small spaces (sunshines specialty) etc etc, it is an individual choice, i do personaly belive every bird clipped or not should have as much outside the cage time as possible.
    Last edited by thebubbleking; 07-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I agree, and I would add that they don´t only need time out of their cages, the quality of that time is the most important.
    They need to destroy things, to interact with another birds or humans, to play, to move around the space, ... Staying on the floor or on a perch during hours and having to wait for a human to go to another place is really sad. Feeling the restriction when before that bird could fly anywhere is hard...

I think we should try to see from their point of view, we have damaged them enough removing them from their habitat and snatching their freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by belenny View Post
    ...............There are a lot of reasons for not to clip a parrot because of his physical and mental health, but the reasons for clipping him are always more related to the owner (his comfort). When the parrot is already at home and you find this problems I agree with you, I would prefer clipping him to risking his life, but if you buy a bird with the idea of clipping him you´re wrong in my opinion. It´s a matter of respect like mine with horses............
    Of course, I also have to agree with you Belenny, there a few who may choose to clip more so as a benefit to themselves than for that of their birds. .... Best we can do despite all controversy, is without prejudice help them find a more soluble means of safely housing or managing their parrots.

In the meantime, we can at least take heart in knowing, that even for those like myself who once depended on a wing clip for safety reasons, may rest assured those wings will eventually grow back..............
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

" I think we should try to see from their point of view, we have damaged them enough removing them from their habitat and snatching their freedom. "

Most of our birds are breeder bought, rehomed or bred , we dont snatch them from the wild the majority of our birds havent lost anything they gained a flock who loves and spoils them, they have no natural predators they have no worry of not being able to eat or drink they are safe happy and spoiled, Lovebirds dont last 15 years in the wild they are lucky to live past thier 4th birthday, birds are prey animals and as such i feel we have given them an awsome life, no guilt here!
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

After reading all the back and forth, I don't think anyone is like to change their mind, but for those who aren't sure what "clipping" involves... for most of us it just involves the partial trimming of PRIMARY FLIGHT FEATHERS, so that the bird in question does not have the ability to gain altitude, but can slow their descent from a height if necessary.

I think of it similar to trimming a baby's fingernails so they are less likely to scratch (harm) themselves.

Wing-clipping does not mean their actual wing/limbs are cut off, though I have heard that used to happen, which I do think is cruel and unnecessary.

My tendency is to clip some primary flight feathers when a new/untame love is brought home to help with the taming process, and as the lovie becomes familiar with the home/caretaker, then the flight feathers are allowed to regrow. If you look at my siggy pic, you can see where sunnybird's FLIGHT FEATHERS are clipped...and now they are growing back out again.
    Last edited by HaleBoppPeachyluv; 07-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.