Thread: gacking on command

Default gacking on command

although that's NOT what I'm trying to do!!!!
    Ever since I picked up Chino last night after being gone for 3 1/2 weeks, he's been showing a new behavior.
    He walked down my leg, and I was tapping my finger and saying "come here, Chino" He began to do the head bobbing regurgitation. I thought it was wierd.
    A bit later, I did it again- tapped my finger and he gacked.
    Now it's everytime I tap my finger he gacks in-time. Does my finger look like a bobbing head to him?
    Luckily he swallows it (sorry- gross) and doesn't leave it all over me.
    Did he miss me alot and is now claiming me as his mate?
    Jack still tries to "do" my hand as well.
    (sigh) being this popular is hard work...

Jeni (me),
    Flapjack, doh 12/12/06 and Gremaldo, doh 6/06
    Flappuccino (Yellow sided GCC), doh 7/07
    Flapdancer/Nokomis (BH Caique), doh 2005

Default Re: gacking on command

Isn't it fun having birds as companions sometimes????????

Did he do this behaviour with Greg?

When I returned home after 2 weeks, Kiwi was soooooooooooo excited to see me that he seemed to be humping and gurging non-stop (for Kiwi that meant EVERY minute EVERY day ) . It abated, back to it's normal behaviour after a few days. I definitely notice that the more excited he gets, either from the environment, noises, happiness, the more he gacks and humps. Hopefully, Chino will calm down once he gets over the initial excitement of seeing you again. Good luck!
    Robyn & Kiwi

Default Re: gacking on command

Wow Jeni, three and a half weeks and he still loves you?...............you are one lucky fidmama! You know, sometimes I wonder if the memories of some companion birds may far excede the time we generally felt it took before they begin to forget about us. Perhaps some "forgetfulness" can be attributed towards the instinct and will to survive and less for lack of memory. Either way, its good "you" have safely found your way back to the flock and have been excepted (remembered ?).....OK, so now you must re-establish your pecking order?......

I too have noticed a few times my Goofy lovebirds attention being drawn towards the familiar beaks at the end of my finger tips. Lest the computer keyboard also gave way to evidence of this for which he's no longer allowed access to. Lets just say it not only gets messy after awhile, but eventually turns into jealousy as well. The final result being that while he may not be a big "regurgitator", he's very good at offering support from the other end...................
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael