Thread: How do I do an Avatar photo?

Question How do I do an Avatar photo?

I have tried on several occasions to figure out how to do this. My pictures are all too large to load. Can you tell me how to save a photo so it requires less memory?

Thank you.

Linda

Default Re: How do I do an Avatar photo?

Hi Linda,
    How many megapixels is your digital camera? Most are more than 5 these days. My new one is 7.2, which makes them almost life size when enlarged! My camera also has different settings that will remove pixels so that the photo is smaller. For an avatar, I would use an e-mail setting and see if that works.

My version of MS Office has Photo Editor and I use that to downsize the photo by removing pixels. You should also be able to use a version of PhotoShop to do the same thing.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Hi Linda:

If you have an image program like Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, Elements (photoshop), Fireworks (Macromedia or Adobe if you have a newer version), or even Windows Paint, or any other photo editing program you might have installed with a digital camera, scanner, or printer, you can crop and resize your image and then upload it to your user CP to display as your avatar. 100 x 100 pixels and 72 dpi resolution is the norm for an avatar.

(Edited to add) If you tell me what programs you do have, I can give more specific instructions.

If you do not have an image editing program, you can go here:
    http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

It is free, quick, and easy. Follow the instructions. Browse for the image you want to use, and then select the 100 pixel option (100 pixels is the maximum dimensions for avatars, in general) and leave the other settings as they are. Then click the Resize button. On the next page that displays, follow the instructions, and then scroll down a little to see your resized image. You must save it to your desktop/hard drive first. Then, you can go to your User CP (link in the menu bar at the top right of this page) and choose the Edit Avatar option from the menu bar on the left. (If you need more help with this let me know.)

If you still feel totally helpless: you can email the picture you want to use to me (or tell me where I can find it online) and I'll gladly "avatar-ize" it for you and send it back, it only takes a minute. (PM me for my email address.)

One warning: make a copy of the image you want to resize! If you leave it the same name and save it to the same location, it will overwrite the original, and all you'll have of your big photo is a 100 x 100 pixel postage stamp.
    Last edited by chromasnake; 08-09-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Welcome Winter, Welcome Yule!

Another easy program to use is Microsoft Image Resizer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx

Quick to install, and in the future you just right-click on an image you wish to resize and choose "Resize Pictures", and then choose Small, Medium or Large.

Another benefit is the fact that it doesn't change your original image. It just makes a copy of it in the size that you choose.

I do software tech support, and this is what I recommend to my customers.
    Heather and the ZooCrew
    (Odie the Loverboy, and cats Fancy, Simon, Delilah, Momma, and Shotsie, and turtles Eleanor and Shel)

Thank you everybody. I am finally finding a few minutes to figure this out. It's been quite a zoo around my house lately! You'll know if I worked it out because I'll have a picture posted. Linda