Thread: I'm calling Sunny a "She" ....

Default I'm calling Sunny a "She" ....

Okay... the new fids name is Sunrise-to-Sunset (mai ka lā hiki ā ka lā kau) Hilinama aka "The Fruit Salad" aka Sunny... although I still reserve the right to change that name within the next week.

I have no strong feelings about Sunny being a boy & am inclined to believe Sunny is a girl. If it turns out "she" is a "he" after all, well then good... but I don't want to be disappointed later.

She's pretty acrobatic... climbing around her cage...she chirps occasionally. I chirp back & she looks surprised. I'm sitting at the rocking chair next to her cage with my laptop & trying to be as non-threatening as possible.

I haven't tried to handle her since I put her in the cage, and occasionally she looks at me. There's lovie/cockatiel mix in her cage, and the millet spray she came home with. She's dipped her tail into her seeds & flung it on the bottom & curiously nibbles the other types, but mostly is eating her millet.

She's near a window & I opened the blinds. I have her cage half covered & she seems to appreciate it. She's not in a direct breeze or sun, but it's pretty well lit in here & while it gets warm in the afternoon, it's not too bad.... but she hasn't really stopped climbing around since she decided she was awake about an hour ago.

Anything else I need to worry about?
    Last edited by HaleBoppPeachyluv; 08-24-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: translations

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Default Re: I'm calling Sunny a "She" ....

Okay...so she was runnning along the bottom of her cage.... first the side perpendicular to me, then parallel to me..she's doing it now in fact. My Maka used to do that when he wanted out & run harder & faster if I was looking. sooo... I took the plunge & approached the door.

She backed away & when I opened the door (it swings like a house door rather than lifts) she took a jump UP and then OUT! I got a glimps of her beautiful tail feathers... she doesn't have any lift, but pumps enough that she doesn't fall like a rock. (*phew*) I cornered quickly & picked her up... a little wiggling, and then submission. No struggling.... I was actually very pleasantly surprised as my Maka wiggled like a fish when I first tried this with him.

A little hard breathing, and then just mellow. No trembling or quivering or anything. I think she's been handled, just not enough to make her sociable. She looked at me, and then popped her head up...but no trying to escape.

I talked to her softly for a bit and then put her back. ...She's gone back to pacing.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

I used to "force" Eddie to sit with me when I first got him. I guess whatever I did worked, because the little guy is quite stuck on me now!

I would wrap him in a little blanket and give him scritches. He didn't like them then, but seemed to stop fighting it. Now.... he loves them. When HE is in the mood of course!

'Cause he is in charge
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Yes... All my past lovies had the tough love treatment.... heheheh....it seems mean when they're scared & protesting, but I find that once they figure out you're not hurting them they really start enjoying themselves.

Sunny has been climbing her walls (literally) all day & I've been occupying the couch across from her. So I just moved back to the rocker next to her cage & she decided it's time to take a nap. Coincidence or does she trust me more now? Silly bird.... she's beak grinding though... i love that sound.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

She sure sounds like an active little thing!........You know, out of necessity there's been a few times I've had to handle various birds without their consent. Whether wild or not, some remained rather docile and others acted as though it were a fight to the death. Even though Sunny to me would definitely fall into the docile range, you still have to wonder if this were "only" submissive, or one that portends a willingness to relate positively towards your advances. Either way, this type of situation could be very difficult to comprehend as both parties may then have to suffer a certain amount of prejudice before learning they are able to accept or trust one another. Has she been clipped already, or is her age such that she has yet to learn how to fly? For now, this may be the only reason you've been able to capture her as she really has very little defense. As opposed to grabbing her, I would take the opportunity to try teaching her to "step up". That is to say, even if she were to land on the floor, that would be a good time to offer up a finger or two. Say...Does she have a swing yet.............
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

She's been clipped, though I think as they grow & she molts I'll let her have her flight for a bit, though not as long as my Maka did. I wish I had him clipped before I moved in with my husband. i usually have 2-3 hrs at home alone before he comes home so i'll have that be her out time when she gets more used to me. I figure one of us handling her at a time would be easier.

She's got a swing, a ladder, several perches of different length/thickness/material & a chew toy... i still need to get her a cuddle buddy or something softer to snuggle up to.

She's only stepped up on the swing a couple times....looking very unsteady... it was cute! lol I think the motion scared her as she jumped off very quickly. I know she'll get used to it soon....

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.