Thread: Cage Mate

Default Cage Mate

I've been giving thought to getting a friend for Jack my masked love bird Jack. My question is this what kind of love bird can I get to be Jack's buddy? Will he only get along with another Masked love bird or could I get another kind to live with him. All comments and advise are welcome.

Thanks!

Default Re: Cage Mate

Anyone?

I have read and seen forums where people have more than one species of birds.

I think it might depend on personality.. and also introduction.
    as long as you introduce them on neutral ground and be prepared to intervene in any fights.. i think they say intially you put their cages beside each other so they can talk to one another (after quarantine of course)

as long as you divided your time between them I dont see any problems but also realise they may not get along so you may need to give them individual time out of the cage.

thanks momo yet another question answered

I, personally, would stay with the same species of lovebird. Each species has a distinct personality and it's best not to mix them.

Are you very sure that your lovie is a male? If not, you may want to find out before you consider an additional lovebird. If yours is a male, and you just want a companion, I would look for another male. Male + female = offspring and they usually will not stop with just one clutch. In the period of about 12 months, it's not hard to go from 2 lovebirds (breeding pair) to 18 (3 clutches x 6 babies in each clutch)!!! Finding good homes for the little ones is challenging in today's economy. That's why I've cut my breeding way back, at least for right now.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I found this old thread about introducing new birds.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/communi...ad.php?t=10378

When I got a friend for my male 14 year old peachfaced lovie Squeaky, I chose another male peachfaced lovie. Because of their age difference, it didn't work out for them in the same cage. But they love to come out and have playtime together. They can see and talk to each other while they are in their own cages throughout the day too.

Good luck!
    Christine, Ducky & Zoe

RIP
    Squeaky (1994-2012)
    RIP Blue Meanie (1994 - 2007)

I had a lonely peachface lovebird, and was searching all over to find her another peachface, so she could have a friend, but could not find one. I finally just bought a fischers lovebird, and after spending time in side by side cages, I introduced them to eachother and they have been inseperable ever since. They are always cuddleing in a tent that I have and love to preen eachother. So while I have read somewhere that it is best to keep the same kind together, my personal experience of mixing them has been a good experience.