Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Not To Buy A Bird

Thumbs up Re: 10 Reasons Not To Buy A Bird

This article was SO great, that I copied the whole text, and put it in a norwegian forum for parrots..!! This forum is jused by many who is "playing" with the thought of getting a bird, and I think this article will prevent a lot of mistakes in the time to come GREAT
    In Norway there is a lot of articles with this type of message, but nothing can compare with this one.
    Thanks for shairing

Default Re: 10 Reasons Not To Buy A Bird

That really is an awesome article!!

Proud Momma to Five!!

i never read this article before i got a bird. I always thought a bird would be easy to care for, not really aware of what was in store for me. I just knew the basic care of birds (food, toys, how to house them, etc...) and that was it. I didn't even think birds did anything, but sit there all day and eat and chirp. boy was i ever wrong!!! Imagine my surprise when I found out that people let their birds out of their cages for play time. my words, "you can do that??? Really??? Cool"

fortunately i turned out to be a pretty good bird person (SURPRISE!!!!!!). Unfortunately, I can't say that for everyone who's bought a bird. I even found myself telling a good friend not to get a bird for her son who's like 3 or 4. She saw photos of Joey and started thinking about it. She's a wonderful person, but having a bird, you really have to be a bird person w/ a lot of patience. They are definitely nothing like dogs or cats.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

love this article.

i always worry when people tell me they're thinking of getting bird, esp a parrot type. they don't know what they're in for long haul.

although longevity is a selling point with me.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Good advice but i guess i am weird all the things that are pointed out as faults i either dont in the least bit mind or enjoy lol
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I also never have these problems. But it's a great article anyway... I think lots of people don't anticipate the fact that birds can be stubborn, aggressive, and demanding at times. Thanks for posting!

I always try to discourage my friends/family to not get birds if I know they're not the "bird type". People don't really understand how demanding birds are. But I think that's part of the beauty of birds; pets are supposed to be unconditional companions and I've never had a better unconditional-loving companion than my birds.

But I must say, I love my bird for all of the reasons listed to not get one.
    Rachel

Great article!

In all honesty, I've always compared my birds to being like 2 year olds with anxiety, and I've told that to people who ask me if they should get a bird, or if they're talking to me about getting a bird. My keets may not have been the tamest, and Kiddo and Storm were less of "2 year olds with anxiety" and more of "clingy 5 year olds", but Pixel, well... he's a living sour patch kid. Still love him though.

They really are like little kids, we bathe them, we put them to bed, we wake them up in the morning (for those of us with sleep cages), we make sure they eat their veggies, we play with them, and a whole bunch of other things that a parent does with a young child.

This may just be my thinking on birds, but either way, I think we can all agree that we parronts love our fids.

Touche!
    Chuhu is my first pet bird, I have rescued wild birds which I release later.
    My Love bird is the most neediest pet I have ever had, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!