Thread: 2nd Lovebird?

Default 2nd Lovebird?

My boyfriend needs a pair of his lovebirds rehomed and I'm thinking about taking them in. I know I can do it, it's just a question of if I should (I did want them at one point so guess I'm getting my wish here). i'm thinking about taking just one of them...but I might end up with both.

They're semi tamed I think. Anyway. Any tips on how to go about this? I am NOT having Joey share a cage w/ them. I think it would be nice for Joey to have friends or a friend he can chrip to while I'm at work since he's such a velcro baby (not even sure if this would help). His being a velcro bird issue is whole another subject. Regardless, I think I might take them in.

Default Re: 2nd Lovebird?

If you got the room time and money i say go for it, just make sure you quarentine them for 30 days before bringing them next to joey and make sure thier playtime is supervised for a bit before leaveing them all alone together.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I think there might be something in the fact that they are a pair.. and if they are bonded.. they might exclude your joey in play time.. i remember reading something on here about someone having three birds but one is excluded.. as the two boys hate each other..

But as long as you give joey some time with you Im sure it will be fine.

If they are a bonded pair, separating them is a very bad idea. Lovebirds form very close bonds with their mates/companions and I don't/won't split my pairs. (A breeder actually offered me $250.00 cash if I would split one of my bonded pairs and I told him NO!)

After quarantine, you could have cages next to each other, but Joey would not be welcome in their cage. If the pair is semi-tame, you should be able to win their trust with attention, attention and more attention!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

They are about Joey's age, I think a bit older by a few weeks or so...so I don't know how that would affect them if they were separated?? They are siblings too I believe, brother and sister (does this mean they'll mate w/ one another too??? ) I think I'm definitely gonna take them in this weekend. And I thought cage shopping was over!!!!

Oh, OK. When you said "pair," I automatically thought older birdies.

If they are siblings, you don't want them forming a "pair" unless they both happen to be males. Two females may or may not get along later on so that consideration comes into play, as well. If you were to only take one, yes, they would miss each other but it's not like they've been together for a great long period of time. Choice is yours then.
    Linda L.

i figured it would be ok since they're both still young that separating them would be ok. We'll see. I'm still debating...anywho. They are both brother and sister for sure. I know it'll be some work for me to do. I think they're semi tamed, we'll see. They definitely eat out of your hands for sure and sit on your shoulders. They have bitten me before (and not in a "exploring your hand" type of way that Joey does) and one of them is pretty protective and territorial cuz I've seen it!!!! So I know what I'm in for.

i'm gonna get them both. should i keep them in different cages? they are siblings, bro and sis

I would DNA sex them to see if you have brother/sister, sister/sister or brother/brother. For now, you can keep them together but that may not always be possible. Find out what you have so you can make educated choices.
    Linda L.

You know how human brother and sisters shouldnt have babies.. it applies to the rest of the animal world.. lol.