Thread: ... Inspector Lovie!

Cool ... Inspector Lovie!

... So I decided to change around the arrangement of my little guy's cage the other day (as i have been putting it off for a while...) -- The little guy, while he doesn't out-right attack my hands, he does not like me poking around in his home! He puts up a good fight tugging at the toys i'm trying to clean and / or move around ... Who knew these little guys were so picky?

I've heard it was good to switch things up in their cages every now and then... variety is the spice of life after all... But I don't think he was very pleased with me after the fact?

Anyone else have similar issues?

Default Re: ... Inspector Lovie!

well, i read that you should move things around, but w/ joey, i just move 2 or 3 things around and not everything. i don't move it every week, i do it every other week. I also alternate what i didn't move the last time the next time. that way he can explore toys he didn't notice before or didn't want to try (who knows?!), but that's how i got him to explore his swing. Am i explaining myself clearly? let me know if i should clarify myself here. my little guy is pretty good about not attacking his mommy. he just watches me like, "what are you doing?" i don't know if i'm following the "rules" correctly, but that's just what works for me...then again, if my bird could have his way, I'd be the toy that never leaves the house.
    Last edited by bookworm0550; 10-23-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Same here.....Pip hates it when I touch or move around any toys in his cage! Yeah, if I'm not careful I get bitten. I had taken his cage outside to clean it a couple times over the summer, and I leave him in it so he can come out and enjoy the sunshine with me, and maybe a few sprays of water....well trying to remove toys to clean them I got bit twice! He doesn't like it when people mess with his toys! Mostly I don't have this problem though because Pip is ususally not in his cage, which is probably the wise way to remove or rearrange anything......while they're not in there!

Okay Good! At least now I know it's not just Me! lol -- It must be a territory thing? But I feel better, as well as my Lovie (eventually) enjoys the change of scenery and exploring new toys and pearches....
    I totally understand what you were saying BookWorm... Maybe I'll change just a few things more often rather than the entire cage less often?

My birds get bored with the same toys all the time so when we clean the cages I take all the toys out to clean them too. Then I put different toys into each cage and I do some rearranging of the perches too. I put their swings and their very favorite toy in the same place so they have something familiar.

It doesn't take but a minute before they are all exploring the new toys and checking out the placement of the perches, etc. They seem to be much more active when I switch things around frequently. After the toys have been in the same place for a while I notice that they start to ignore them and I don't see them playing as much.

One thing they never do get tired of is their swings. They all seem to like them the very best so we have one or two in every cage. In the biggest cage with multiple birds we have three swings and sometimes they will all be going with one or two birds on each one. That's so cute!

Linda

There are a few cage objects my lovie lets me know are off limits. Sometimes I move them, other times not. If I know certain items are currently keeping him busy I tend to keep my hands off of them. The only things I won't move around are his food/water bowls or sleepy spot. Gosh forbid I should reach in and touch those while he's anywhere near !
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

How is it that these TINY Fids can so powerfully control our actions ? lol