Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking forward to an experience like none other

Default Re: Looking forward to an experience like none other

Guess my eyes must be playing tricks on me today! I looked at what you wanted and I read female.....

I have several genetically sexed young males that are OF Green. They are parent raised (not tame) but the parents produce very nice babies with pleasant personalities. The mother is an OF Lutino and the male is OF Green/ino/cinnamon/Opaline. Each time the male passes the ino gene, I get a visual Lutino that can be either male or female. Visual green babies from this pairing are all genetically males. I know dad is split for cinnamon, as well as Opaline, as I've had visual females in both mutations.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Wow, you are the lovebird scientist!

I would love a friendly male if you have one. How far from Daytona are you?
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Quote Originally Posted by lemonypickett View Post
    ....She said that it is super important to see what kind of relationship we may have ...
    That's great that she is willing to do that. So very important and shows that she cares for her birds. Good luck and let us know who you brought home Ekkies are cool looking parrots, but I have never got to know any closer.

(the bird and I, not the woman>>>

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!
    Last edited by Anneka; 11-08-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Green-cheek conure ~ Fischer’s lovebird ~ Peach-face lovebird ~ 5 budgies

Wow, that's a long drive you are taking, two hours. I am about two hours away from you, maybe a little more, are you coming in my direction??
    I have had the pleasure of meeting a male eclectus. Ivy's previous owner has one and he was very sweet. I have seen a female too being boarded at a pet store where Pip came from and where I get their millet. The females are so beautiful it almost takes your breath away! It's really nice to be able to go and see all of these birds in one place......I had the same luck of being able to do that.....just as a visit to a friend. She raises green cheek and sun conures and she has a few macaws, two african greys, an amazon, and a bunch of conures. Her amazon was just the cutest thing....he was talking the whole time, saying.....Hi, I love you, and hey baby! He also still calls out his previous owner's name who died in the world trade center......kinda sad, but he seemed like a happy bird.
    I already know that I am kind of afraid of bigger birds. Ivy's size is ok, her beak is actually not much smaller than an african grey's, but Ivy is always very gentle with me and she gets all bitey sometimes with me, but they are always very gentle, playful bites that don't hurt at all. I even let her put her beak in my face, she will beak at my nose and my mouth sometimes and want to get in my face and I totally trust that she would never hurt me. I already knew that I wanted Ivy before I even saw her. This was the type of bird I had wanted for some time and waited for because they are hard to come by around here. I also talked to her owner for a good hour or more before going to get her, but it was already decided that I was going to take her before we got there. Her previous owner was a very nice person.....I really liked her! and she was even crying when we were getting ready to go. She had two female lovies that were the sweetest little things and they were riding around on me for the longest time! We were there for quite some time, and her flock looked very happy and healthy! She had a huge bird room with all windows around it, and every birdie thing imaginable! unfortunately her flock seemed to be a bit overwheming for Ivy and she felt that Ivy was being stressed out all the time and just not fitting in with them, and she felt that Ivy would be happier in a calmer environment with less birds! It's true that pionus tend to be a calmer bird, more laid back, and I do see Ivy get all worked up when the tiels get loud!
    You'll enjoy your visit there anyway, no matter what happens! I really enjoyed going to birdie wonderland at Ivy's previous home and at my friend Laurie's. Laurie had baby conures and I got to see the babies!
    Ok, well enjoy and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonypickett View Post
    Wow, you are the lovebird scientist!

I would love a friendly male if you have one. How far from Daytona are you?
    Laura. I know you would like a male, but I would consider one of Linda's females. I have several sweet females that are even great if they are on eggs, and I really wouldn't trade them for anything. Some hens can take some adjustment but if things work out, Eddie would be blissful and that's what really matters. Same sex birds can have great relationships, and some even intimate, but more times than not they do prefer the opposite sex for lifemates. If you don't want babies, then you just boil the eggs and return them if they even lay, and you are diligent enough to deal with it. I think this might be something that is even more important if you are serious about getting a larger bird anytime soon.

I've had limited experience with eclectus. I have a friend who has one who raised it from an egg she was given by chance. He is sweet but definately needs a special diet and attention.

Good Luck!
    Laura O

Thanks for the replies guys, Yes Laura, maybe a female would be what is best for Eddie.

I would love a Linda baby but had my heart kind of set on a blue or green or one with a "peachface". Selfish of me, isn't it?

As to the trip to the bird woman's house, after spending four hours on her couch with this bird, I left a deposit. I have 24 hours to change my mind, I just need to do a little research about a couple of things. Both her Eclectus could not fly although not clipped. They also seemed to not have the best balance when moving up a slippery arm, they seemed to move awkwardly. She said they can't fly because the muscles have atrophied from lack of excersise, and that the breed isn't known to be good fliers. I will need to check up on that.

I also think that the bird is not receiving the proper diet. Although he had beautiful feathers, normal looking beak (maybe a tad long) and clear eyes, I do not think she has been feeding him the amount of fruits and vegetables this breed requires. They have long digestive tracts and therefore need extra fiber. I even saw the woman's boyfriend feeding the birds white bread! Eeekkkk!

So, I know I wasn't going to "rescue" anything else, but I think that this breed gives me the "big" bird experience, but they are more quiet, docile and less destructive than many other breeds I had been considering.

She got him 9 months ago for $750, and that was what she was asking. He was supposed to be a breeder for her other Eclectus, but their age difference made the female dislike him. Also, the male is a Solomon Island, and hers is a Vos. I offered $695 with a clause that he must pass a vetting (funny how a few dollars under $700 made me feel like he was so much cheaper). So, I think I didn't get taken. (I hope) She said what was best for the bird was most important.

He was a little hand shy at first, but in watching her handle her birds, she is a little rough. She flips them around and asks them to step up onto an unstable hand. I think that the way he has been handled may be making him like this. In the time I spent there he did seem to warm up to me, and never bit. He did "beak" my nose, ears fingers and neck, but never hard. He was gentle. I was terrified at first, but by the time I left there, I wasn't scared to put my face right in his.

I got home (after completely changing and washing up of course) I took Eddie out to say good night, and he felt sooooo tiny! So lightweight and adorable. Although I want a big bird, I do really think that there is no bird on earth like a lovie. Eddie has such a personality that he is the most special bird in the world to me. So, I want to make sure that he stays safe, finds himself with no less time with me because of the new bird, and has the most fulfilling life he can have. Because, the reality is that the Eclectus will be (god willing) with me until I die, and Eddie has a relatively short life here on earth, so I want it to be as happy, and fulfilling as possible. So.... maybe a female is in order.... hmm.....
    Last edited by lemonypickett; 11-09-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08