Thread: arguing lovies

Default arguing lovies

like true siblings, joey and evolet love each other and they argue, whether it is going for the same part of the same toy (even if there are other toys of the same things right next to the item they want), food (even though there are two of each), space, etc...

How do you guys deal w/ lovies when the beaks come out? I usually just clap my hands real loud and raise my voice a bit to make them stop. Just wondering what everyone else does when their lovies get into arguments.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

Default Re: arguing lovies

Spray bottle. When things get really out of hand, the culprits get a good shot. Set the squirter on 'stun' and you can zap them from across the room. Nothing breaks up a fight faster, even when two birds are in a real struggle and nothing else in the world fazes them.

Now, I just pick up the bottle, and the arguments stop. Nobody likes to get wet in my flock.
    Shy
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
    -Robert Browning-

I yell "HEY!" or "BIIIRDS ...!" and they all stop what they're doing. Then they start scolding me, so the situation is diffused that way.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

I've been trying to let them work things out for themselves, because I can't be here to referee every little squabble.

But when they look like they're serious, clapping my hands and saying "Hey!" works well.
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

Ever since I've kept Mika and Kano in separate cages (it's been, what, a month or so now?) they haven't fought once when they're outside together. They're actually more lovey-dovey than ever before!!

But when they used to fight (Mika always started it), I would separate them and make them sit away from each other and think about what they did. I ask them if it's okay to fight and they say "no." ThenI tell them to think about what else their breaks are for because they're not for fighting. They tell me "beaks are for eating and preening" and then they get to go back and play.