Thread: regurgitating too much?

Default regurgitating too much?

what's normal for a lovie to regurgitate? I feel like Joey does it a few times a day for evolet and she can be quite a baby and 'beg' him to do and he also does it for my fingers (though nothing comes out that I see). Can there be "too much" of the head bob going on?

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

Default Re: regurgitating too much?

I think if you weigh him you might be able to tell if he is not leaving enough in his belly for him. I just got another scale from ebay that cost $12 including the shipping and has stainless steel, blue led lights, is digital and has a built in cover!
    Last edited by lemonypickett; 12-29-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: ha ha - I said in his belly for me, not him! I fixed it now
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm0550 View Post
    what's normal for a lovie to regurgitate? I feel like Joey does it a few times a day for evolet and she can be quite a baby and 'beg' him to do and he also does it for my fingers (though nothing comes out that I see). Can there be "too much" of the head bob going on?
    There is no standard comparison as to what a lovebird can normally regurgitate. Some will produce nothing at all, and others can seem endless.

Although it is rare for lovebirds to suffer any consequences, as Laura suggested, a relatively inexpensive digital scale can be useful in making sure there is no subsequent weight loss as a result of an overzealous provider. Can there be too much head bobbing?.....At the far end of the scale, its often felt this could be a sign of over stimulation. Sometimes removing various object/s of affection will help reduce this activity. Other times this makes absolutely no difference at all. Rest assured though, it is only natural whereas you need not try to eliminate it.

Speaking of "standards"......Keeping a small digital scale handy to weigh in your bird once or twice a week should become just that. A standard. For anyone who keeps parrot/s, having a scale is a good way to keep track of birds who may otherwise show no other signs of illness.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    Sometimes removing various object/s of affection will help reduce this activity.
    Joey would not agree cuz that would mean a bare cage and lack of two flock members. this bird regurgitates to his fave boing rope perch too. no, i don't try to get rid of it. sometimes i just wonder if it's too much, but he's fine.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

When then I guess you have answered your own question. Very good.
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm0550 View Post
    Joey would not agree cuz that would mean a bare cage and lack of two flock members. this bird regurgitates to his fave boing rope perch too. no, i don't try to get rid of it. sometimes i just wonder if it's too much, but he's fine.
    You know, I was hoping our flock leader "Janie" would catch your thread. If I remember right, one of her birds is the master of all regurgitators.....

Its understandable whenever it comes to gacking some of us may view this as...well..."thanks but no thanks". Our daughter though viewed this quite differently finding great humor in the side show our birds used to display whenever company would stop by. Used to be if it wasn't the gacking, it were the hors d'oeuvre's competing for the final supper. One of my close friends used to refer to this activity as "sex, millet and rock n' roll"........Perhaps as time goes by this will become less frequent, eventually spoiling a good portion of all the fun.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael