Thread: no TV.....ever?

Default no TV.....ever?

We have discovered, unfortunately, that when the TV is on, Gus isn't happy. Gus will chirp and squawk loudly until the TV is muted or off. This morning we thought he was just being a normal birdy, talking to the outside birds, but then we realized when we paused the TV (we sometimes do that to talk to one another and not miss anything while doing so) he would stop. We found this funny until we actually were trying to watch the television and Gus was just relentless. We turned off the TV since, and Gus has been very quiet, and happy, playing with toys and being himself.

I just tested it by going in the room and turning on the TV - sure enough here comes Gus to say, LOUDLY, "NO TV!!" to me and squawked away until I turned it off. We would be able to deal with it no problem but when you have 45 minutes of ear piercing screaming it's not that easy.

Will we ever be able to watch television again?? We don't even have it loud when it's on (nothing bothers me more than an unnecessarily loud television) so I don't know what he's so up in arms about

Proud Momma to Five!!

Default Re: no TV.....ever?

Unhappy about or excited by the TV noise??? My birds are more quiet when the TV is off but they aren't unhappy when it's on. Quite to the contrary! They like the noise and chirp loudly in excitement........

Not sure what the answer is, unless you watch TV in another room. I will admit that it's hard to hear above parrot noise so I can sympathize there!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

yea we thought maybe Gus was competing for the attention. We did come to find in the past few hours that he enjoys jazz music! it calms him right down. & for the first time today he climbed onto my arm voluntarily! it was exciting.

by no means am I bothered by Gus's noise, I understand it comes with the territory! I just feel bad leaving the room to watch TV because thats less time I can spend with him.

Proud Momma to Five!!

yeah, sorry, no advice as my birds are loud w/ or w/o t.v. though i really hate watching tv and not being able to hear due to all the noise level.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

I rarely watch TV but when I turn it on, my birds are generally chattier. They don't like a loud TV, though.

They can hear the TV when they're in their cage, but I keep the one side that faces the TV covered so that they can't see the flicker of the TV screen (seem to recall that they see a strobe-light-effect because of their eyes, or something like it), but of course, when they are out of their cage, calling and flying around, they can see the screen--nothing I can do about shielding the screen from them! It's OK because they're busy.

Sometimes, if the bird noise level is high-ish, but I don't want to turn up the TV sound higher, I turn on the caption feature and read the script. (I know, my back is made of rubber, I do so much bending over backward for them. )

I also walk around all day with those squishy ear-plugs in my ears because they like to yell into my ears from an inch away. I don't like that.

Petey

Elmo is like a 3 yo child when it comes to tv.. she just stands there and watches it.. it's like she's mesmerized by it. Though if there are bird on the tellie, or even in the background she will chirp at them. And when people laugh and applaud.. she YELLS at them.

When I watch TV in with my guys they get a chatty not loud screaming but talk more and seem to enjoy it. Wish I could help maybe he is competing for atention. Does he do the same thing with the radio?

Gus is fine with music - we found that he loves jazz. If we put it on he sits and puffs up and enjoys its quietly - its the cutest thing ever and we love it! Any other music annoys him, he gets loud and stomps around his cage. We left the jazz on last night while he was going to sleep, he seemed to enjoy it and it was kind of nice having nice jazz ambience in the room!

Proud Momma to Five!!

gus is hilarious. haha. tv in my place is basically background noise for all of us unless i want to watch something and then they get all loud.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/