Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tragic story, please read.

Default tragic story, please read.

I received this email from a customer this morning:

During the early morning hours today, my wife and I lost all 4 of our Amazons to a tragic death. We had a new GE Profile Microwave/Convection oven installed in our home after the original one in our home stopped working. At 1:30 AM my wife, not having eaten for most of the day decided to cook a small microwave dinner. About a half an hour after wards, our 28 year old Yellow Nape fell from her perch in the cage to the floor. It wasn't long after that that "Pedro" gasped her last breath and died in my wife's arms. Just then I heard a crash in the room where our 2 Double Yellows are in their cage at night. One of these birds, "Goldey" is the close companion of "Pedro" and I thought he was watching and heard what happened and was upset. I went to the area where that cage is and found "Goldey" on his back and in distress also. Shortly after picking "Goldey" up from the floor of the cage he took his last gasps and died in my arms. I had noticed that the other Double Yellow in the cage with "Goldey" seemed at the time to be fine, and I went to the cage where our Blue Front "Ollie" was and found her in distress. After picking "Ollie" up she died the same horrible death as the other two within 10 minutes. Within 30 seconds, I heard the horrible cry of our last bird, "Casey" also a Double Yellow as he fell to the floor. Within 5 minutes Casey was gone also. Need I tell you that my wife Lisa and I are devastated. This after having lost our 5th bird, a Double Yellow "Harley" to cancer in February of this year. Not a good year for us.

The reason for my email to you is two fold. One, we would like to know the cost of the birds if we were to buy them today, and second we want to make sure that everyone seeking to buy a GE Profile combination microwave/convection oven not do so until GE has addressed what toxins have been emitted taking the lives of our birds.

Thank you for any cost information you will provide. When we have weathered the grief of this days events, we will most likely be coming to your store bird hunting.

Also, we have been in contact with GE and they so far are reacting in what we think is a responsible manner to address what has happened here.
    Thank you.

PLEASE POST THIS WHEREVER POSSIBLE. It is quite apparent that the death of these birds was due to this oven. There were no warnings contained anywhere on the oven.

Default Re: tragic story, please read.

OMG.

Blessings and prayers to that family.

Thank you for the warning.

Wet. Stinky. Birdie.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Jim.
    I'm always so very hesitant about buying new appliances, as I can never be totally sure if anything in them can cause harm to my flock. Our world, today, is all about bottom line profit so it does not surprise me that there were no warnings with this microwave/convection oven.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Oh that is so sad. What a tragic story. You'd think that people would realize that if the chemicals are toxic enough to harm our precious babies, that they'd be bad for us too. There is so much about "progress" that upsets me. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family who lost their little ones.

She was not quite what you would call refined.
    She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

How very sad. I know we've all heard stories like this before.....these companies really need to start labeling their products with warnings for bird owners when any non-stick,or PTFE is used in their product. Bird owners need to start taking a stand on this......even if just the people who have lost birds due to it.....there has to be alot of them. That poor family. At least they say that GE is caring about the situation.
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

it may have been the spray they use on new appliances before they leave the factory. If you have ever turned on a new stove and that funny smell you get? Thats the stuff burning off.

What a horrid story. I had to stop reading it! I appreciate you sharing it though.
    Laura O

When I bought my new range/self-cleaning oven (never use the self-clean feature), I chose a glass top. I have to admit that I was afraid to turn it on the first time, as I needed to make sure there was no coating on the glass top! Once Whirlpool assured me that the top was nothing but tempered glass, I relaxed and cooked my first meal!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpierce View Post
    it may have been the spray they use on new appliances before they leave the factory. If you have ever turned on a new stove and that funny smell you get? Thats the stuff burning off.
    Ok, so if it is a spray, then we need to know if that's what it is because we could safely remove birds from the home the first few times using it until it is all burned off........we need to know these things.......innocent, precious animals are being killed......don't they get it? Do we need to hit these people a few times in the head or what? Alot of people think of their birds the same as they would their children......and take them to the vet and spend tons of money on their health! for what? so companies can just put whatever they want into their products with no concern for lives lost? The VERY least companies can do is to warn of these things and they should HAVE to put on a warning on ANY product that has any kind of coating, spray, teflon, PTFE, any of that! Not even to protect people.......people can go their computers and read up on that stuff and it isn't going to kill them overnight! Poor birds don't have that luxury. I think all us bird people need to start finding out how we can have laws to make companies put warnings on their products. Maybe we should all call our local TV news and see if they'd do a story on it! since there aren't any warnings on these things, at least that would get the word out to bird owners! geez!
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

Wow Jim thats incredibly sad. Did you post this on Heathers as well?

I couldnt imagine losing all my fids in one day..talk about devastating. And just imagine the harm it did to them, what is it doing to us? Very scary

http://bythedozen.shutterfly.com/
    (the story behind everyone)