Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tragic story, please read.

Default Re: tragic story, please read.

yes I did.

Well, I don't where else to write at this time, but I found this.....
    http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/cbsn...in500690.shtml
    CBS news investigates, and I sent them an email. I'm sure we all can find other places who may be interested in this story and want to spread the word and help save the lives of birds from a such a cruel death. There NEEDS to laws to protect them so warnings have to be put on products that will kill them.
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

How shocking!............This is one of the most tragic cases of parrot fatalities due to toxic chemicals i've ever heard of. Certainly, this could have very well happened to any one of us had we not been well informed.

The difficulty with chemical poisoning is that its almost always irreversible. Should a patient survive, their recovery can ultimately prove both painful and extremely uncertain.

Thank you Jim....For taking the time to share what could very well save more lives. Prayers for this family.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

What a very sad story. Thank you for informing us. Our kitchen is on the other side of the house, farthest away from Olly. We do not take any chances when it comes to kitchen appliances - I know what tragedy they can cause. My thoughts go out to the family.

Proud Momma to Five!!

Unhappy Re: tragic story, please read.

Hi Jim, thanks for sharing this tragedy with us. This helps to prevent similar incidents from happening. I can't imagine the pain and heartache that family is feeling right now. My heart goes out to them. Please send them our prayers and good wishes.

Barb

OMG, how sad for this couple.

Last year, for Mother's Day, my husband bought me all new stainless GE Profile appliances. Huge fridge, glass top oven, micro and dishwasher.

I was pretty scared the first time we used them, but we ended up ok.

Mine is the micro only- no convection. Thank goodness!

I can't imagine the devastation of losing all your fids at once.

Also- you said it was a microwave dinner, correct? Alot of them have teflon in the packaging. Those can be scary too.

Jeni (me),
    Flapjack, doh 12/12/06 and Gremaldo, doh 6/06
    Flappuccino (Yellow sided GCC), doh 7/07
    Flapdancer/Nokomis (BH Caique), doh 2005

Apparently GE does have warnings on some of their products concerning birds, they give a 1 800 number to call for instructions on how to prevent any harm to birds before using the new oven or stove, so I guess they do try. Still.....if the law made them ALL put warnings on dangerous products then things like this wouldn't happen! Sorry....I just want to scream it from the roof tops and wish these companies would care enough to put warnings.
    human."

This is terrible! Now it really scares me. We have a propane stove in our house that will be our alternate heat source when we have no power in the winter. It is vented outside and fully enclosed so we have been told it won't cause any problems during normal operation.

But, what is a problem is that it will take a couple of hours when we first ignite it to burn off any chemicals from the manufacturing of the stove. We have been told this will take a couple of hours.

Our plan is to move all of the bird cages to our back deck and I will supervise them out there while we burn off the stove and wait for the house to air out again. For this reason we didn't connect the stove or try to light it this last winter because of the birds.

Now the weather is warm enough for the birds to be outside without getting too cold. Our alternative plan is to move the birds upstairs, close the doors to the bedrooms where they are, and open the windows. That way I wouldn't need to monitor them the entire time because we have our feral cats outside and they would really enjoy lovie snacks.

I have been so paranoid about hooking up the stove but we do need some source of heat if we have no power in the winter. I also don't use the self cleaning feature on my oven and wonder how I will clean it when it gets really awful. The chemical cleaners are also very toxic so that isn't an option either. So, for now it is just gradually getting dirty! :P

Jim; Thank you for posting this as a reminder to all of us that we need to be diligent about researching the products we introduce into our birds' environment.

It would be so awful to lose all of our birds like that! Each on is just so special.

Linda

I had the same concerns when we got a new furnace last year. I had heard that a new furnace needs to run and burn off anything dangerous. They started hooking up the new furnace over the summer, so I wasn't worried because I figured it would be warm enough to take them out or open windows when it was first run. Turned out they took their time.....my boyfriend had friends from work doing it cheap at their convenience! so it was fall when it finally was ready to run! I still opened the windows though the first day and everything was fine.
    I think all of us bird people all must have dirty stoves, huh! Someone told me baking soda works good and just use some elbow grease and no worry about fumes. Also there is this product out there that is supposed to be bird safe....
    https://www.pinksolution.ca/
    human."

I would die! I am all alone just me and my fids...i don't think i could handle that!
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....