Thread: New Lovebird in house

Default New Lovebird in house

Hi Linda and everyone.

Its been 6 months since I lost my last lovebird Princesse.(: She was 18 and my little buddie. Its been a hard road. Lots of grief. At first I wasnt going to get another. But I missed the chirping of lovebirds. I couldnt locate any hand raised in the area so relented and just bought a Dutch Blue from a local pet shop. (They keep their birds in a cage up high in their bird room)
    She;s about 4 months. Right now she is a hyper. Its been 9 days and I cannot even go near her cage slowly without scaring her. She is eating and playing but wants nothing to do with me. LOL. Lots of time spent in front of her mirror. Its even where she sleeps. I named her Skyler. She is what I imagine a baby of Princesse (blue violet) and Paulie (regular peach face) would look like. Peachy colored face and greenish blue feathers.

I know I have to get her used to seeing hands. She's in our dining room where we do our puzzles and watches but has no trust of me at all.

Any hints would be appreciated. I dont expect a Princesse-type relationship with her. But Id like to get her stick trained so I can weigh her, and she is less afraid.

Thx Ellen

Default Re: New Lovebird in house

Hi Ellen and congratulations on your new lovebird! I love the name....Skyler!

Even if a lovebird is hand raised, it needs to be socialized and not many breeders do that anymore. My first suggestion is remove the mirror. She sees the reflection and, to her, it's a real companion. You want her attention, not a reflection.

What I would do is spend as much time as you can near her and her cage. She may be frightened at first but she will realize, by experience, that you don't intend to make her your next meal. Wish I could say there are shortcuts, but there aren't. On the positive side, she knows how to play and is eating well. Perhaps, sit by her cage when you eat. Lovebirds are naturally curious and she will most like want to see what is on your plate, although it may take some time.

I would love to see a picture of her.....if you can get her to stay still enough long enough!!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Linda I will try and get a picture of Skyler today.

Meanwhile I wanted to share this photo of Princesse's grave from the summer months. The block letters used to hang on her cage. The roses are from my rose garden.

Hugs and stay healthy.

Ellen

Princesse had a home where she was as loved as any Lovebird could be. Her grave shows the love and compassion you had for her and I know she will always have a very special place in your heart. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.