Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearl is a Pain!

Default Re: Pearl is a Pain!

Quick question: Is Pearl a DNA'd female?

Petey

Sorry, I'll get this right yet! While this link discusses featherpicking, I thought it would be interesting to you because it also discusses other topics that are relevant to parrot ownership, such as the need for regular baths, the diet, light, exercise, more control by the parrot, sense of security, entertainment; and how to observe parrot behavior.

When a person is owned by a parrot, that person becomes a naturalist, by default. If you ever wanted a job like Jane Goodall's (she oberved chimps) this is your chance to be like her and observe parrots. Happy discovery!

Also, are your friends reliable and serious about looking after your Pearl? It's best to be doubly sure, and if in doubt, it's wiser to use a parrot boarding/parrot sitting service.

When Pearl tries to bite your hand as you are opening the door to her cage, feel free to distract her toward the back of the cage with the other hand. Since she can't be in two places at once, use two hands and neither hand will get bitten.

Petey

hi guys,

Thanks Momo for your comments, i've decided to wait a little longer to see whether pearl needs a friend, because at the moment she is being really lovely and seems to enjoy the company we provide for her. I do give her enough time each day, even though i go out to work every weekday. My boyfriend is freelance, so works from home pretty much every day, though he is out the country this week. She wakes up with me, has plenty of toys etc, in her cage during the day to keep her occupied and then when i get home we play until she goes to bed. She definitely seems content to be left in her cage most days while no-one is at home, and she’s also fine being in there if my boyfriend is working. Some days it’s not so easy and she’s a real poop though!

To answer your question Fuzzy, no she hasn’t been DNA’d female – we are guessing, but she has been showing nesting signs (paper tucking, getting excited about small dark spaces.. not sure if males do this?) and she’s on the heavier side etc…Next time I take her to the vets I will ask to get her DNA’d though. Thanks for that link also, i will read through that at some point this weekend.

Thanks again for your advice guys! feeling a lot calmer about it all now [or maybe thats because i just had a yoga session ]

Jane

I'm sure you'll do fine with Pearl. Every companion bird represents a learning curve for someone. How steep this curve is depends on the person and the bird.

There is one other observation that I'd like to pass along. Since you'll have a singleton for a while, I would recommend that you teach Pearl to submit to head scritches from you as it would add to her comfort and well-being. Much as a zoo would endorse teaching their elephants to offer up their foot for a pedicure, so should you train Pearl to tolerate, and even enjoy, the scritches on her head, neck, and under her beaks to remove those annoying and itchy keratin covers on the pin feathers. This training may take a while--with Juanita, so bitey, it took about 6-months. In other words, persistance pays off.

It's recommended that her head and neck are all that you touch.

Petey

hi again everyone,

thought i'd add news to this existing thread to save starting another one...

Ok, all the advice given to me great, and Pearl's behavior has actually been very good lately... but i've realised that is because my partner has been away from home. This happened before but i didn't realise til it happened this time. Basically, while he was away she and i bonded a lot and she was lovely, letting me scratch her head lots, playing nicely and not really biting at all. but then he came back and now she's being very aggressive randomly, lunging at our fingers for no reason etc...

Why is she only like this when both of us are here? it's not like we ignore her, or do anything different than when it's just one of us. Could it be that she sees one of us as her mate and is being protective? She seems to treat us the same with biting!

any ideas /help /advice appreciated once again! Thanks

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    hi again everyone,

Could it be that she sees one of us as her mate and is being protective? She seems to treat us the same with biting!

Jane
    Seems like you've hit the nail on the head! Bennu, though he is a parrotlet and not a lovebird, does this as well. The only time he bites me hard or acts like a brat is when Chris is around. He is very bonded with me and gets very jealous when other people or birds are touching or near me.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes

Jane. ... Rest assured, what your going through is not all that uncommon. .... Pearl has in fact bonded with you quite well and is now protecting the relationship. Couple reasons she may be biting both of you is two fold. .... One, She bites you in hopes you'll split the scene leaving knowone around for the boyfriend. That way he'll leave. And two, she bites boyfriend in hopes he just plain leaves you two lovebirds ALONE. .....OR.....She bites you as a warning of his invasion. Bites him to make him leave. And after he's gone, expects the both of you to live happily ever after. .... Well, something like that

Sounds like your boyfriend may need to spend a little quality alone time with pearl. You could try a room thats least familiar to pearl and have your boyfriend work with her there. I would also have him provide her feedings and treats. What better way to become a flock member than to help gather the food. ..... While you both need to do your best to avoid bites, try not to back away from her. Do not scold her or react in any noticable way (even if its funny) towards her aggressive behavior.

Your boyfriend should probably start off again using the "stick training" method. Any positive interaction between her and him should always be rewarded with plenty of praise.......Keep us posted!......
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

oh my goodness the comment about her wanting us to go off and live happily ever after made me laugh so much!! thats so true when you put it like that! ha bless her

but thank you folks for your replies - i feared the worst i guess! oh dear, i think that must be it. I feel bad for my boyfriend, i am trying to think how to break it to him! haha

seriously though i will try the tips you gave Michael, and have him spend some time with her in really positive ways. I also try to make sure she sees me and him together a lot and invite her to be with us all together, though i don't know if she gets that just yet...

anyway, thanks again, and yes i will keep you posted. Though i should post a pic of me and pearl so you can put faces to names here. This pic is from when she was still a little babe !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38817444@N04/3663884340/

Jane x

Oh my my my my my! ..............Whats the meaning of this!

JANE! We need to see Pearl's wee-beeb pic! ....... You must now go and make that photo PUBLIC! ........ NOT PRIVATE! .......... Now hurry up before someone NOTICES! ...........
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael