Thread: Freyja Talks

Default Freyja Talks

When I was getting Benny prepared for our trip to the grandparents' this weekend, I asked him "do you want to go on a car ride to Granny's?' as I always ask the birds before transferring them to the carrier...

and as usual, Freyja and Odinn start getting excited because they love to go on car rides to Granny's! Now, one night several months ago, when Chris and I were goofing around and saying "Fishies" a whole bunch of times, Freyja repeated it. She hadn't mimicked anything since.

Until Friday... while goofing off, she started saying "Granny! Granny! Granny!" They love the house and they love my grandmother. She's the first person Odinn ever flew to without Freyja being on them, and its still a very rare event. Chris said she chanted it all weekend, but stopped when I got back! The word was clear and unmistakable.

Aside from Loki, who in his short life and very brief three days with us, repeated "Step up!" defiantly, but did not step up, whenever I asked him, Freyja is the only lovie I've ever had who spoke.

Gotta lover her! Freyja is such a darling. She's still honking, too. Honk! Honk! Honk! Whenever she's angry, she honks, and honks in her sleep... hehe, she did it just as I typed that, right on cue.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes

Default Re: Freyja Talks

Lovebirds are capable of speech and imitating sounds but they are better known for their playful antics. Having lived with them for almost 20 years, I can say that they still never cease to amaze me!! That's one of the reasons this site is dedicated to them and why I've never outgrown my love for them.....
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

You definitely have the birdies that are the most amazing, Enko! Ive seen some talking lovies on youtube and it cracks me up how robotic they sound -but I assume thats what Oliver will sound like too if and when he ever talks!

Proud Momma to Five!!

Benny's speech is much quieter, well his sounds in general are much quieter, than the lovies' but he is also much more articulate. We tried to list all his words and there are about 50 give or take a few. We realized a couple more in the car when we didn't have the list... he's quite the little talker. Some of his speech is VERY clear, and it isn't as raspy as the lovies' but its sometimes hard to hear because he is so very quiet. I've learned to tell the difference between some of the things he says that sound similar...

he says beee-yoo-teee-ful beee-yoo-tee bird! He says it so clearly and melodically. Its something I say to him a lot, but never expected him to say it! If Chris ever has a moment's reprieve from work, we must try to get some clear recordings of him. He won't speak on command- the only thing he does on command is step up and that's enough for our relationship. He'll fly to me if I ask him to sometimes, when he wants to. His newest thing is SWEEEET SWEEEET SWEEEET SWEET PEA! He's repeating it over and over as we speak.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    Lovebirds are capable of speech and imitating sounds but they are better known for their playful antics. Having lived with them for almost 20 years, I can say that they still never cease to amaze me!! That's one of the reasons this site is dedicated to them and why I've never outgrown my love for them.....
    I have that same feeling about lovies! I remember when we first started getting birds and we went to this place in Northampton that raises birds.....they had a bunch of pamphlets and I had read about lovies and from what I read and their shorter life span, I remember thinking....nope, didn't want a lovie! Then along came this add on craigslist with pics of the cutest little bird I think I ever saw! and he was very closeby! Lovies are just so adorable and to see them and spend time with them is to love them! I never stop being amazed by Pip either.....he would be the last lovie to talk because boy can he get his point across just fine without words!
    I think alot of people probably pass lovies by because they are small and because they can be trouble! especially to other species of birds.....but look at Pip.....he loves my other birds! (just don't land on his cage!) Yeah, he can be trouble! but he is just SO smart and so funny....my lil monster birdie! So determined to do what he wants and get where he wants to go!
    So cute that Freyja talks....amazing little lovies! I always kinda hoped that Ivy might learn to repeat a word a two, seeing as she's so bonded to me and does immitate other things, but so far no words.....lots of screaming though in the mornings!
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."