Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noisy noisy noisyyyyy!

Default noisy noisy noisyyyyy!

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since i've posted, so you probably don't even remember me (!) but anyway, hello again!

Well just a very quick update - we have a new member to our house in the shape of Bruce. He is a blue masked and SO beautiful and lovely, but quite timid of hands still. He's getting more used to us and Pearl loves him! She preens him all day, it's so cute.

I just have a quick question regarding noise though. Pearl was always fairly noisy on her own - she'd have singing matches (with herself) throughout the day - but now we have two and sometimes it is a little unbearable. Is it normal for them to be singing all day? They often just scream, but don't appear to be in discomfort or annoyed or anything. Sometimes, like right now, it is just little sleepy chirpings, not all out screaming, which is really nice, but when they yell for hours on end its really hard to take!

Are we doing something wrong? i was just wondering if it was normal behavior - and if it is i think i just need to be a bit more tolerant!

any advice appreciated!

Jane

Default Re: noisy noisy noisyyyyy!

Hi Jane. .... How often and when do your birds have out of cage time? Can you rearrange their schedule around the times when their the most vocal? Do they have a specific bath time? Sometimes bathing helps to calm birds for a bit. ... Really, regardless of how much you do RIGHT, they may just keep right on a chirping away. Usually the noisy one first (Pearl ), then the mate may follow suit.

While personally the noise my two make don't phase me much, I have noticed after bathing their fairly quiet. At least for a short time. .. During the afternoon, i'll also place a large plate of food or treats i.e. almonds, popcorn, or maybe sunflower seeds that I removed from their original seed mix. Usually they take turns checking it out. Goofs always first though cuz he thinks he's the boss..........Quiet...yes and no.............
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Two things first most birds are fairly noisy during they day it's a sign of happiness secondly i will let you barrow my sun conures for two days and i bet you wont be complaining about lovebird chirps any longer lol
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

Juanita and Petey are noisy, making constant contact calls, or Juanita will call Petey, and he'll answer. They could be 2-inches apart and they'll yell their heads off. They could be separated by a floor and they'll yell their heads off. The only time they don't make much of a noise is when they are sitting on eggs--like now.

If they see a crow through the window, Petey will give out alarm pips and Juanita will join in. The duration and level of the alarm calls can be loud to very loud and can last from one-minute to five-minutes.

I'm just grateful that it's not the loud calls of my cousin's Amazon. He blasts out his morning and evening songs--and it's LOUD.

Petey

thanks for your replies, they made me laugh a lot! So true about them yelling when they are next to each other (and they also do this to you - right in your ear).

The problem with rearranging out-of-cage time is that they will be noisy wherever they are, or whatever they're doing! but i will try to figure something out. I will also start to offer them bath time when they get noisy i think, as it does quieten them down for a while too.

But i think you are right Bubbleking, they are just happy, which makes me happy - seeing them talk to each other is really sweet. And seeing Bruce chirp so loudly when he was such a quiet shy little thing when we first got him is great.
    And thanks for the offer of taking your Conures, but i'll have to decline, as i would quite like to keep my hearing for a few more years yet.

thanks!

J

i will let you barrow my sun conures for two days and i bet you wont be complaining about lovebird chirps any longer lol
    Anyone want to borrow a macaw for 24 hrs???????
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I have noticed with mine that they were quite noisey when I first got them. When I first got Pip, he was noisey for the first couple of weeks, now he's the quietest little guy. Same with Rudy.....very noisey for a good month or so after we got him, now he's settled a little more and a little quieter. They do chatter alot, but I love their little chattery sounds, and yell to each other once in a while when they're in different rooms, but the noise the lovies make really has never been an issue and I consider them to be not very noisey at all. One thing I have noticed about them though is they always have to make noise back in response to the other birds! Pip responds to Ivy's every sound! and Rudy to Pip's!
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

I've noticed that the noise level of our birds seems to have a direct correlation to what else is going on in the house. If I am cooking, doing dishes, or any water is running they will all be chattering and calling like crazy. They also up the volume if the TV is on, or I talk on the phone, but most especially when we have company. Any strangers in the house are all it takes to get them all going. People tend to ask us if they are ALWAYS that NOISY!!!

You should have heard the racket when one of our grandsons found that he could slide on the hardwood floors in his socks! The birds went nuts!!! Getting a three-year-old boy to walk slowly and quietly around the birds is as difficult and ineffective as telling the birds to be quiet.

Believe me when I say that eighteen lovebirds are a lot louder than two!

I have also found that giving them all their bath dishes will calm them down and keep them quiet while they all preen and dry their feathers afterward.

I think their nap chirping is cute but it's still noisy when all of them are doing it simultaneously. The loudest times seem to be in the morning when they are all saying hello to each other and then at night before they all settle down--sort of like The Waltons all saying good night.

I also have a thing that I do when I get home from work where I say "Hi Birdies" and they all call me and then they listen. Then we repeat this several times.

One good thing for me is that the bird noises don't phase me and my husband is partly deaf!

Linda

The more you add the louder it gets - I've learned that lesson!! ; )

Proud Momma to Five!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebubbleking View Post
    Two things first most birds are fairly noisy during they day it's a sign of happiness secondly i will let you barrow my sun conures for two days and i bet you wont be complaining about lovebird chirps any longer lol
    Oh honey- I'll see your sun conures, and all the lovebirds on this board put together, and raise you just ONE caique!!!

Anyway- I think it's funny how even lovies can be so different from each other in their vocalizations. Kind of like humans from different cultures and languages.

My Jack was a teeny bald thing when I brought her home, and at that time she was my only bird. She never learned to speak lovebird. She just spoke Jack.

When Gremaldo came, Jack was 2 1/2. Boy did she look confused!!! Jack & Gremaldo make completely different sounds and calls. Gremaldo is pretty loud, but he was raised with lots of lovies who all sounded pretty much the same. It's actually really interesting to hear the different "languages" between the two. Jack is really quiet by comparison, and sounds more like talking than normal "loviespeak".
    Last edited by Flapjack; 10-03-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Jeni (me),
    Flapjack, doh 12/12/06 and Gremaldo, doh 6/06
    Flappuccino (Yellow sided GCC), doh 7/07
    Flapdancer/Nokomis (BH Caique), doh 2005