Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaredy Birds

Post Scaredy Birds

My birds are scared of everything! When they're out of the cage, they don't want to investigate or play with anything. They don't want to rip up paper, forage in a box or anything! When I try to get them to play with new toys they fly away as soon as I move and they are not interested in anything. I feel like I'm training them wrong or doing something wrong but I don't know what. Please help

Default Re: Scaredy Birds

How old are they and how were they raised (parent or hand fed)?

Parent raised lovebirds are much less tame than hand reared. It took us a lot of work to get our two comfortable with us. We still can't stroke them and they can get a bit wild out fo the cage and prone to flying away when twitched. They will land on our fingers and sit on our shoulders and 'talk', play with out hair and generally seek us out in the room and interact even though they will never be super tame like many.

Try spending a lot of time around their cage, talking to them, offering them treats through the bars. Once they decide you aren't going to eat them they will slowly start to trust you as part of their flock.

They are around 7 months and parent raised. They are quite tame, and willingly step up and hang out on my shoulder (thanks to the magical power of seeds ). I have accepted that they won't ever be super tame, but I want them to play with toys and forage, which they aren't doing. Do your birds play with toys? What kind do they like? I think I probably need to get to know them and what they like, hopefully I find something!

Parrots are all different and some will be cuddly/love being held, while others are a little bit more aloof. I, personally, like the combination of parent raised, human socialized babies. They learn to be birds from their parents and they learn how to interact with humans from socialization. Let the relationship develop on its own. Follow their lead.

Chances are they don't know exactly what toys are and how to play with them. It's something they will have to learn if something catches their interest. By nature, lovebirds are naturally curious. They may not investigate anything just yet, but it will come. They just need to be a bit more comfortable.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Yes that is what I am discovering the more I get to know them. Does anyone have any suggestions about toys that my lovies might like? So far they kind of like ripping paper and tissues. (are tissues safe for birds?). Any suggestions will be appreciated

Do they like toys in their cage?
    Ours are much too preoccupied with us/our hair/our clothes/breaking things we don't want broken outside the cage to play with toys. They are still absolutely terrified of a playset we got them and refuse to go near it. Inside he cage after initial wariness they will soon be trying to (and usually successfully) breaking any toy we give them.

They aren't really afraid of toys in their cage, but they don't play with them unless they can chew them easily, and even then they only chew for a couple seconds. Outside of the cage they never want to play with or investigate anything. (Except a pin once. Nearly gave me a heart attack.) I thought most lovies would be chewing the first thing they see, but Kiwi and Guava don't seem to be interested in anything much.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAndGuava View Post
    Yes that is what I am discovering the more I get to know them. Does anyone have any suggestions about toys that my lovies might like? So far they kind of like ripping paper and tissues. (are tissues safe for birds?). Any suggestions will be appreciated
    Try finger traps! They are made from bamboo and they are inexpensive. Many of mine love to shred them. You can put treats in them and then there's a reward for their effort.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Oooh, they sound good! I will definitely try that, thanks

My Lovies love anything made of wood...of course they love to destroy it, but they have an absolute blast doing it! They also have a toy that has rings they like to move on it...it actually is a baby toy...those rings that link together to hold baby toys to strollers are another favorite.