Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For Suggestions

Default Re: Looking For Suggestions

I'm glad you found him because it sounds like he's in good hands now!I got a lovebird from the Humane Society at the end of summer who was pretty skittish when he arrived and scared of hands.I started off offering him sprigs of millet and after a while I'd sneak in a quick scritch here and there and with patience he has come to trust me.

Now he will let me scratch his head from time to time,there are days he could let me do it for what seems like forever and other days where he'll want a scratch but then for no reason get his fear of hands back and fly away.I don't know what background he had or why he was so afraid of hands, but I do know with patience and love he's learning that not all hands are bad.

I hope he's lucky. I just want to do it right. I think he (she? if you saw the way this bird ogles my Johnny Depp desktop wallpaper you'd wonder too) is trying really hard to fit into the menagerie that is my home. He's offering food to my youngest cat. Gets on the floor of the cage and joins in in his own way when the dogs wrestle. He's come a long way from the qiet scared little biter I brought home. Just today he started fighting my hand entering his cage. I won't let the behavior continue but in a strange way it was a good sign. I really appreciate all the help and encouragement.

Oooh please don't read that to think he is actually wrestling with the dogs or not in his cage when the cats are on this level of the house.
    Last edited by bird-brain; 01-17-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: clarification
    A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Jst ignore any missing "U"s, the bird ate my keyboard.

Need to be really careful with the dog and cat that they don't get their saliva on your bird or because it can be deadly for them.

Did I also read that even a small cat scratch can be deadly to birds do to the bacteria they carry? It is unfortunate that Cabo seems to be in love with one of my cats. It is unrequited love I assure you.

He's not allowed contact with the other animals. They really don't pay him any attention but I don't trust them around him. Other than the chance for bacterial problems, the size difference is just to great with the dogs. I have dobermans and german shepherds. I'm too scared they'd squish him.
    A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Jst ignore any missing "U"s, the bird ate my keyboard.

Welcome Cabo! You seem to have an understanding about Cabo's mind and soul. Yes, definitely, he's not a cat or a dog.

Ohh! Cabo is cage possessive, is he/her? If Cabo is allowed out of his cage, you might take that opportunity to clean, etc. All the better if he/she's out of sight.

You might use a stick to get Cabo out of his/her cage. Do you want to find out if Cabo is a boy or a girl? For $25 you can thru Avian Biotech. I have found that female lovies need to be handled one way, and the male, another way. Also, if you keep your movements slow and relaxed, it doesn't frighten the lovie.

When you handle Cabo, be very gentle, even when Cabo is biting you. I suspect you know this already. This is something I have found out over almost five years of being owned by Juanita, a biting female. She has mellowed and her bites are far less painful now, but I still handle her like I'm holding a dandelion puff ball and I don't want to knock any of the little umbrellas off.

Since she still hates hands, I only give her the back of my hand to stand/land on. Practically speaking, this is the less painful method because when lovies first land/step up, they will beak you to steady themselves, and a beak-pinch on the back of the hand hurts less than a beak-pinch on the palm side of the hand, so I have found.

Petey

He tried on being protective of the cage for a few days but then just quit. He's really a clown and not a very aggressive bird. he's still struggling with wanting our companionship but not fully trusting us. Daytime naps are the saddest things. He wants you very near, touching the cage with your hand is fine just not IN the cage. Otherwise his naps are fitful and not restful at all. He just needs time..He's a delightful baby and very smart. He knows exactly how to make me stop what I am doing and do only what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by bird-brain View Post
    Did I also read that even a small cat scratch can be deadly to birds do to the bacteria they carry?
    That is correct

It sounds like you are already making wonderful progress with Cabo.

Our little Cricket was a very tame lovie who would step up onto anyone's hand and loved riding shoulders. She loved all people but was definitely a "hands off" lovie who wouldn't allow any petting or scritches.

We both still miss her... Someone came to look at our babies for sale and their daughter immediately wanted Cricket instead. The pleading got to me and we finally decided she could go. Since then we have thought again and again that we shouldn't have done it because we miss her, but we also know she went to a very good home.

Cabo may never like scritches or petting but you already have him coming to you which means he feels safe. As time goes by you could end up with a velcro birdie!

Linda