Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Help me with my lovebird ;)

Default Re: Help me with my lovebird ;)

Quote Originally Posted by blackscell View Post
    ........ The cage doors are always open also when I sleep cause they usually stay on the top of the cage.........
    Sounds like your managing things quite well!.......The only caution I can throw at ya, is allowing them out during sleep hours. ... Should your lovies decide to find a nice warm place to snuggle up to (chair cushion, blanket, YOU, etc), they can easily get themselves crushed/suffocated. .....Not something you want to wake up to!

Photo's?..........
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Boy, when they yawn, they really yawwwn! ..........Now that last photo where their posing together is absolutely PRICELESS! ........That one belongs on the front of "Bird Talk" magazine. .... Beautiful birds!...Thanks for sharing them! .........

I tried putting them on my finger today. When they are near their cage they run away like crazy and keeps going back to his cage. In a place away from their cage they can sit for hours on your finger ( although they seem scared ) they do sit on my finger..

Should I stop chasing them in the room and just let them do what they want in my room? Cause i do have to get them back in cage at sleep time cuz ur right it has sum dangers

I really think I should put them in seperate cages or put 1 away

The black headed lovebird is so calm he can sit on my finger for hours but the white headed makes such a fuss, keeps flying away and chirping and whenever that happens the black 1 will fly away too .....

What would you guys do ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackscell View Post
    I really think I should put them in seperate cages or put 1 away

What would you guys do ?
    With pairs, unless one bird somehow becomes overly aggressive with the other, its usually in everyones best interest to keep them together. . (especially if ones a tad bit jealous because of you)...What I would try, is to work closest with the more congenial of the two in hopes that whichever bird responds best, the other may soon follow. At least when it becomes bedtime. ... As far as chasing birds....Although there are times we may have no choice, I would not want it to become too consistent, as in some cases, this may actually do more to re-enforce their idea that they really do among other things, have the avian advantage of flight. ... How are your birds with sharing food? Have you offered a special treat like uhhhh....millet...a dollar bill...a small piece of apple...a nutriberry? Something that might help entice them back to their cage? .... Can you dim the lights? ...Sometimes that helps, even if its one bird at a time.

I think what you've found, is that whenever your not around their cage, your birds are more responsive. ... Being that most parrots have their own personalities, and can also be quite complex, it can take time figuring out the best ways to manage their behavior. .. Keep in mind, having one of two birds perch on your person is a really huge step. Having both is a real treat!.......
    Last edited by michael; 04-24-2010 at 10:03 AM.

I'm having great progress with the black headed bird, he can jump on my finger now whenever he wants and he also eats out of my finger !

Whenever I approach them with my hand, the white 1 flies away but the black 1 will stay although he is a bit afraid, wil walk back a bit but when I put my finger under his belly he will auto-jump on it!

He's really making good progress!

Hello and welcome!

We have quite the varied international community. I think that many of our newest members are from outside the USA and that is great. Varied perspectives, and new information only serve to enrich our community and the lives of our birds.

That is the cutest bunny I have ever seen in my entire life. My family used to breed and raise many species of rabbit when I was a child, so I have seen my share... my goodness! That photo made me smile and laugh through a very bad day. Thank you!

Your lovebirds are gorgeous. Yes, when they are a pair, they are like magnets, they do everything together and one is never far from the other. When one is out of sight, they will immediately begin calling out with high-pitched punching contact calls.

I have a pair of lovebirds who are both tame. One of them was tame when they came and only had to get used to me, they other had never been handled and had to be tamed as well. After having these birds for a year, they are both tame and used to me, but one of them is still terrified of human hands. I still must roll my sleeves over my hands or cover my hand with a rag when I ask him to step up from his cage. Outside the cage, he is willing to step up onto a flat, open, upward-facing palm- but otherwise, though he knows there is nothing to fear from us he is still very fearful of our hands.

Sometimes the fear of hands is something that we must work around when taming a bird. Other times, their fear will fade as they come to know us. I find that rolling my sleeve over my hand and offering my arm is a trick that works for them.

When they were very new, I would offer a treat (millet, sunflower seeds, a home-made treat like Linda's Cornbread Recipe) and put it next to me or sit with it on my lap and the birds would come and eat it, and eventually they would get bold and climb all over me, eat from my hands...

I'm glad you found our community and look forward to hearing more about your lovies!
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes