Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Do About Those Wings

Thumbs up What to Do About Those Wings

Here is a link to an extremely interesting article by avian behaviorist Gay Noeth regarding wing clipping. http://www.onafricanwings.com/clipping.htm She makes some very good points and ends with the thought that perhaps humans should adapt to having birds in their environment rather than making birds adapt to living in our environment.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: What to Do About Those Wings

It's a good reading! Thanks for posting it.

I've thought about this before and realized that I've probably been in the wrong when I clipped the birds feathers,that it doesn't really stop them from going where they shouldn't so I rearranged furniture and put reflective decals on my windows and have done a lot of what is mentioned in that post and had no real problems with the birds going where they shouldn't.

Zeus is the only one who likes to get in trouble,but I have a squirt bottle and all I have to do is show it to him and say "I'm gonna get ya" and he'll come down. I got the bottle to mist the birds with,but they are all dreadfully afraid of it so I don't even have water inside the bottle,I just show it to them and they get off whatever it is they shouldn't be on lol.

I can't believe the change in Pele,he used to act so insecure but now he has a new confidence and really enjoys being able to fly around. He's actually become aggressive to the other birds now,but I think that has more to do with hormones than his ability to fly. He's just able to fly over and terrorize everybirdie else,where before he probably wanted to but couldn't.

This is something that I debate with myself constantly. Peanut is fully flighted but he is so daredevilish and I worry that one day he'll get hurt or worse. We like to do a lot of camping and since Peanut is bonded to me even though there are 3 lovies and 12 other birds in the house. So I can't leave him here.

Out of my 13 birds, only 6 are clipped. My male sun conure is clipped because if he is allowed to fly, he becomes very aggressive towards me and my kids. I have no idea why. I'm the one that gives him treats, moves him to all the fun areas, etc etc. But I'm the one he takes his aggressions out on and my hubby is the one that gets all his love.

Tarquin has a light clip done by his breeder and he can still fly perfectly well.... I just don't think it's worth the stress of him having to rely on us to move around. Plus, it makes taming him better because when he's had enough he can just let us know by flying away, he doesn't have to bite or get frustrated with us hassling him. It's better being on his terms :-) When his flight feather grow back fully I doubt we'll be clipping him again.
    Last edited by Loupigs; 08-02-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Dsitracted, loads of typos lol

My budgies gets clipped lost to many so there staying clipped my cockatiels are clipped due to losing to many but my lovies are flighted and they can stay flighted. I thnk clipping is necessary IMO. =]

Probably one of the best rewards I could offer the only bird I ever clipped (Goofy), was to let him have his wings back. ... Had I only been able to bird proof the entire house ahead of time, he may never have had his wings clipped at all.

Thank you Linda for sharing Gay Noeth's article! ........
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Nice article! Clipped a couple of times along time ago - never again

This is a wonderful article! I have clipped Icetalon's wings twice, but I discovered that with her wings clipped it made it even more diffuclt for her to get around since she is spray-legged so I don't clip anymore, and ever since I stopped she has seemed to enjoy being out of her cage and held more than she did when she had them clipped.

I've actually let my bird's wings grow out......as long as Pip doesn't give me a hard time about going back in his cage when I have to go to work, I don't clip him, and Rudy....he's such a good little guy and will go back in on his own with a little coaxing. My tiel's wings have grown out too! Ivy is the only one because she hasn't molted yet....once she does, I allow her the freedom of flight during the winter months, and then clip a few flights just enough to slow her down and that makes her not fly as often, which in the warm weather months, I prefer to have it this way with doors opening and closing all the time. I don't like that Pip flies all over the house because I'm scared of him ever getting out, so I'll probably clip a few flights again on him, just to slow him down.....I'm so scared of the thought of him ever getting out, and a wing clip might make it more unsafe for him outside, but to me, it keeps him from flying too far away, and I think I'd stand a chance of luring him back with Ivy since he seems bonded to her, but not if he's miles away!
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."