Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to Do About Those Wings

Default Re: What to Do About Those Wings

Athena's wings were clipped when I got her. I've wondered about having them clipped again when she can fly..... but I decided to wait and see how things go.

I don't want to clip her wings if I don't have to. For right now it is working out because it makes it easier on the taming bit... but I think that by the time she's able to really fly we'll have enough to work with that the ability to fly will help take care of her nervousness, and she won't want to fly away from me all that much. That being said...

I have a cat and a dog. They are not allowed in my bedroom when she's out, because frankly... they 'love' birds too much. LOL. When I bring Athena downstairs, both the cat and the dog are locked out. Cat in the laundry room, dog outside. I also lock all doors, so no one can walk in and surprise me. Athena doesn't try to get away from me when we're downstairs, she just sits on my shoulder and enjoys the view.

Still, I'm leaning towards letting her be able to fly, just in case something happens. I'd rather she be able to fly high and avoid trouble.

Honestly it is more of an idividual choice for the owner and the birds personality and situation.
    I personaly keep all mine fully flighted as thats how they get most of thier execise.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

This is something that I have to agree with. It's a very personal decision and it's strictly owner choice. Most of mine are fully flighted but I have 2 Greys who are extremely mischevious and the go through phases from fully flighted to partially clipped to clipped enough where they are limited to where they can go. Some times of the year are worse than others and I deal with them on what's happening basis. I would prefer that they remain flighted but, unfortunately, it doesn't work all the time..........
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.