Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vomiting/regurgitating all over the place!

Arrow Vomiting/regurgitating all over the place!

Hello

I appreciate help/comments!
    My lovebird has started to regurgitate large amounts of stuff, food i suppose, onto the toy hanging in his cage. The amount she regurgitated is quite considerable such that it looks like vomit to me! Does anyone know what's happening to her? It has been happening for about 3 days already, and everytime we clean the toy she dirties it again.

Thanks!

Default Re: Vomiting/regurgitating all over the place!

Is it only on that one toy? if so shes trying to feed it because she loves it a sign of effection if it is anywhere but the one spot or if you have any diughts whatsoever take her to the vet asap
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I agree with bubbleking. Usually males do this. They pick one favorite object and feed it as they would a mate. Remove the object of their affection and they will simply find another one.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumAM View Post
    ........My lovebird has started to regurgitate large amounts of stuff, food i suppose, onto the toy hanging in his cage. The amount she regurgitated is quite considerable such that it looks like vomit to me! Does anyone know what's happening to her?.......
    As Jeremiah pointed out, lovebirds (males especially), will often regurgitate food as a sign of affection. .. This behavior is generally accompanied by whats refered to as "head bobbing", whereas, a small amount of partially digested food will be "gently expelled" either to a "mate", or some other "object" of affection. .. The amount of regurgitate can very. From nothing at all, to in somewhat rare cases, a rather large amount at days end. ... Actual vomiting is quite different, and is usually NOT associated with "head bobbing". .. Parrots that vomit will often shake their heads back and forth in order to clear themselves of debris. .. Sometimes this debris will be in the form of undigested food (whole seeds or other previously consumed foods). .. Their beak may remain covered with a bit of vomit as well. ....... Sounds to me like your bird is "regurgitating" as a sign of affection towards his or "her" toy. ................
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Thanks for your answer i have also seen one of love my lovebird vomiting and feeding the other does it mean the one vomiting is the male.I don't know their sex.

Kasse. .. There's a very good chance the female is at the receiving end of the males offerings. ... However, i've seen one situation where a dominate male feeds its more recessive "male" mate. ... And they weren't even lovebirds!................
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

Just to clarify. There is a difference between regurgitating/gacking and vomiting. It sounds like what is being described in this past is regurgitating and a normal bird behavior. Vomitting, in birds, looks similiar to regurgitating. However, most birdies who are vomitting gack up the food from their crop and then shake their heads, and food starts a flinging. Vomitting often comes with other signs of illness, and something a vet should be consulted about.
    Laura O

Rudy did this too......he'd find a favorite toy....if it had anything soft on it.....does this toy have any soft, ropey parts? When I took the soft toys away, he stopped doing it. with Pip, he's the mad humper, but at least he doesn't regurgitate like that! I'll see the head bob thing with him like he wants to, but he never regurgitates.
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

Thanks for the replies guys! Really appreciate it
    I guess she is regurgitating the food cos somehow she eats up the food again.
    Female lovebirds do that too i guess?

Oh another 2 weird behaviours coming out these few days!
    1. She starting biting my fingers with a lot of force instead of the soft ticklish bites she usually does when i put my finger near her beak
    2. She keeps making seemingly "crying noises" the whole day! Sometimes it could be so annoying! When i get close to her cage and play with her she will stop making such noises, but the moment i left her, she starts making such noises again!

Any advice? Thanks!

our Lovebird continues to vomiting/regurgitating at least 6 to 8 times a day, plus he humps his house at least the same amount of times everyday.
    Why does he do this??