Thread: Alternative to NestBox???

Default Alternative to NestBox???

I have a male female pair of blue masked lovebirds. They were paired as breeder birds when I bought them from the breeder. They are just at a year old. They are not tame. I want to offer them a great life with me, and let them breed perhaps a couple times a year. Id prefer an alternative to the giant nesting box. Snuggle Hut, or I was thinking about making an alternative nesting box out of plexiglass sewn into fleece to give them a hard sided but soft nesting box that could go inside of the cage. Im not deadset on them breeding, if it happened that would be fine. So Im hoping for something that they would like to sleep in and perhaps breed in, but mainly a nice place to rest. I was wondering if anyone on her has ever done this? Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Default Re: Alternative to NestBox???

Congratulations on your new pair of lovebirds. Sounds like they will have a good life with you.

Lovebird nest boxes are not really that big. Most of mine are 4 x 4 x 4, but I have some that are 6" squares. Boxes should be used for breeding only. Should you want to give them something to sleep in, I would give them a hut but only leave it in the cage at night. Take it out every day. If you want them to breed, then you need to get them into good breeding condition and plan what's going to happen. You may find yourself having to hand feed unexpectedly because your pair don't make good parents. I've had this happen more than once. Not only that, lovebirds will breed year round, non-stop, if allowed.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.