Thread: They won't eat a Reward! :(

Default They won't eat a Reward! :(

Im trying to teach the babies to step up. After I initially get them out of the cage (which is a major debacle, I might ad) they will eventually step up on my hand, arm, finger.

But they won't take a reward

I've been trying to get them to eat something other than seed by giving fresh & dried fruit and veg with NO INTEREST Hmmm.

How am I suppose to reward them if they won't take any food.

Default Re: They won't eat a Reward! :(

The reason they won't take the reward is because they don't realize what you are offering is edible. Verbal praise can be delivered in such a manner as they will understand they've done something good. Perhaps pick a reward that you can eat first and then offer some of it to them. Patience..............................
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Default Re: They won't eat a Reward! :(

Treats that they enjoy above all else like millet and sunflower seeds are usually a go- then following with other things, as they realize they can eat them and you notice that they covet them Check out some of the dietary threads on how to get your fids to recognize and eat new foods!

My quaker parrot, despite having several favorite treats, and despite being utterly fearless of human people and human hands from day 1, for the first 2 years of his life would not take a treat from human hands. He always prefers verbal praise. Its actually quite a nice thing, as it doesn't cause health problems, we can never run out of it, and it really seems to bolster his pride in a way that edible treats don't. Now I try to mix things up, with all my fids, sometimes giving verbal praise, and sometimes treats. When the treats come out, my lovies start yelling "treats! treats!" and when I praise them verbally, they puff themselves up and chirp. Either way, they know they've done well.
    Midi,
    Frey, Odie , Auri, Fili , Mae, Burbank , Iris & Hermes