Thread: Couple quick questions

Default Couple quick questions

i've heard it's a myth that you need to have 2 lovebirds, and that, as a beginner, i should start with 1. But that if you only have 1 then you have to spend a lot of time with it, but nowhere does it say how much time. i could spend 2-3 hours monday-thursday with it and then the majority of the day friday-sunday. but is that enough? i dont want it to get lonely and start picking at itself.

Next, i've been told not to buy from a pet store or a breeder, but to adopt. i have no idea where to adopt a lovebird though.

and i'm also wondering about what if i randomly couldn't see it for a day, would it be sufficient to have someone stop by and feed it and let it out for a little bit.

and about how expensive are they up front, and to maintain per month roughly?

and, how frequently should i see an avian vet (assuming it's not doing anything that would appear as a symptom of an illness)

(feel free to add anything that could be important, i'm still scouring the forums for info, but any and all advice is greatly appreciated )

sorry about all the questions, but i'd really prefer to understand everything before i have a little lovebird that needs me to know

Default Re: Couple quick questions

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    i've heard it's a myth that you need to have 2 lovebirds, and that, as a beginner, i should start with 1. But that if you only have 1 then you have to spend a lot of time with it, but nowhere does it say how much time. i could spend 2-3 hours monday-thursday with it and then the majority of the day friday-sunday. but is that enough? i dont want it to get lonely and start picking at itself.
    Each lovebird is different but they are definitely social, as are most parrots. Some of us have lovebirds that just like to hang out with you or near you, while others are literally velcro birdies. I'm not intentionally offering a vague answer to your question but there is not specific amount of time, just as much as you can. All of my lovebirds have companions and as long as I pay attention to them, I am considered part of the flock. It's possible to have one lovebird that's very friendly and another one who is a bit more stand-offish, if you know what I mean. Not all lovebirds are snuggle buddies.

Next, i've been told not to buy from a pet store or a breeder, but to adopt. i have no idea where to adopt a lovebird though.
    I don't recommend buying from pet shops. However, if there's a local breeder who has nice lovebirds, that's one option. While a rescue bird is always good, they are not for everyone. Most rescues come with "baggage" from previous homes and you may or may not be up to dealing with that. To adopt, you can check with your vet's office to start and see if they can point you in any direction.

i'm also wondering about what if i randomly couldn't see it for a day, would it be sufficient to have someone stop by and feed it and let it out for a little bit.
    I, personally, don't like leaving parrots alone at home for too long. A lot of things can happen. However, if you have to be away for 24 hrs or so, perhaps you know someone who would be willing to let your lovebird stay with them.

about how expensive are they up front, and to maintain per month roughly?
    A tame lovebird can run anywhere from $45.00 on up, depending on where you live and where you get your bird. Color will also factor into the price. Some colors are more expensive than others. Cagewise, you are looking at probably $100.00 - $125.00 for a good sized cage. Lovebirds may be small parrots but they are active and need space unless they are going to be out of their cages a lot. Minimum I use is 18"H x 18"D x 36"L. Lovebirds tend to fly horizontally, which is why I use longer cages. The ideal cage is the largest that you can afford that has 1/2" or 5/8" bar spacing. Round cages are unacceptable.

how frequently should i see an avian vet (assuming it's not doing anything that would appear as a symptom of an illness)
    Once/yr as long as the lovebird is healthy.

i'd really prefer to understand everything before i have a little lovebird that needs me to know
    We would also prefer that you ask questions rather than buy a bird that is not a good match for you or your lifestyle. Birds are living creatures and they will require love, kindness, time and patience!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

WWW. petfinder.com is a site that has many animals for adoption. Both from rescues and private owners. At the top left is pet classifieds were private owners are offering their pets. I used it to find a pair of lovely birds.

(feel free to add anything that could be important, i'm still scouring the forums for info, but any and all advice is greatly appreciated )

Read as much as you can. Lovebirds are lovely pets. But keep in mind they can be very loud(i have 4 kids and the birds are louder.lol), messy, and sometimes bitey. You could get a bird who loves nothing better then being petted by you. or one who thinks your hands are things to be bitten. So be prepared to take the good with the bad. Males tend to be calmer and make good pets. Hens tend to be more aggressive and bitey. But they to can be sweet. I wish you good luck and asking questions is the best way to learn.
    Lovebirds fly into you heart and never let go.

I've seen birds for adoption at my local shelter, even a Lovebird once. There are also bird rescue groups out there. I purchased my lovie at a local breeder for a $100. The cage I bought from a local petstore for $50. Then you have to buy food, toys, treats etc.

My lovie likes being near us, but doesn't really care for being held that much. She is active, curious & hilarious to watch. So they need a lot of things to do in & outside of the cage. 2-3 hours out during the work week & on weekends as long as we are home her cage door is open.

Vet wise I would take the bird for a initial checkup as soon as you get him/her. Then once a year, unless health issues arise. My vet visit cost like $45, but did not include bloodwork.
    SAM/SAMMIE HATCHDAY MAY 20TH 2011

thank you guys so much! if i come up with anymore questions that i can't find answers to i'll be sure and ask