Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: found an egg

Default found an egg

kiwi and tweety are brother and sister (their mom and dad are not releated) when i found out they were male and female and not brothers as i was told when i got them, i separated them, they were really sad so i put them back together. i have had them for a couple years now.this morning i found an egg in the bottom of the cage, it was jamed in between the bottom tray and the cage, the egg broke and it looked like a regular egg with a yoke, does that mean it was fertile? what should i do, should i put the nest box on the she will not drop them to the bottom of the cage.
    NEED ADVISE............
    owned by 13 lovies,1 cag,1 quaker,1 senegal,4 cats and 2 dogs

Default Re: found an egg

If you found one egg, you can believe there will be more. A typical clutch can be anywhere from 4-8 so if you found 1 this morning, you should find the next one either Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Since the egg had not been incubated and your hen is not at incubating temperature (That can take 6-7 days to happen.), the egg was not fertile. At least you know that the parents of these 2 are not related so you can go down 1 generation if you want to, even though I, myself, don't like to do this unless I'm looking for a particular mutation that I can't get by pairing unrelated lovebirds because what I need is exceptionally hard to find. You can give them a box and let them complete this clutch or the other option is to let the hen lay her eggs, remove them within 24 hrs, hard boil them for 2 minutes and then return the eggs so she can sit on them. Within this time frame, none of the eggs would be fertile so all you would be doing is preventing that from happening.

Hope this helps.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

i put the nest box on the side of the cage after i found the egg on friday morning, they have been in and out since i put it on, she should lay another egg tonight or tomorrow. i hope she knows to lay it in the box and not in the bottom of the cage.

Good deal. If she lays it on the bottom, simply pick it up gently and add it to the nest.
    Linda L.

still waiting for another egg, starting to get worried,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well i put the nest box on the side of the cage, she laid another eggin the box sometime around the first of the week.
    the nest box is not for that cage and it was not stable, i was afraid it would fall off, so i put it inside the cage yesterday. i just checked and there was an egg on the floor of the cage beside the nest box. i dont know if she laid it there or if she threw it out of the nest box (there is still one egg in the box that i can see.) i picked up the egg to put it in the nest box and some of the shell was missing on one side. should i throw it out?
    if i would have known i would have put them in the cage that the nest box attatches to......

boys am i naive,i just walked in on kiwi and twetty bird "doing it." he was humpin her "doggy style" i know they mate but......... is it normal to do it when she is eggnant already?

Very egg produced needs to be fertilised. They normally mate numerous times a day when laying

You can toss the egg with the missing shell. It's not good for anything and if any of the yolk or egg white leaks out of the egg, you could find the egg stuck to the hen's brood patch. I've had that happen a few times and you have to soften the egg white that holds the egg to the feathering so that you can remove the egg.

Yes. It's perfectly normal for pairs to mate while the hen is in laying condition. As Personatus states, each egg is fertilized separately so they will mate at least once/day until all eggs have been laid.
    Linda L.

i love you guys,,,,,, howd yall get so smart??