Thread: Adding a new bird to cage?

Default Adding a new bird to cage?

I've had my lovebirds for over 12years (I was their second owner so they could be much older than 12 yrs) Sadly last year one of them died. I'm sure they were 2 females and used to fight quite often- when I first got them there were too many eggs laid for only one of them to be female and they never 'sat' on the eggs.
    I feel bad about this one being on her own but I'm not sure if it is advisable to put another younger bird in the cage with her? Another thing I was thinking about was getting another pair and putting them in a separate cage next to her cage but again I'm not sure if this would upset her even more because I know they do like to preen each other. I now also have 6 Zebra Finches ( cock,hen and four young chicks that have just recently left the nest) which are in their cage next to the lovebird.
    Be grateful for any advice and for any information of breeders of Peach faced lovebirds in Fife Scotland
    Thank you for reading my post
    Emmy
    Emmy

Default Re: Adding a new bird to cage?

Having 2 females getting along in one cage is rare. If you want to add a second bird to the cage the bird would need to be a male and the same age as your bird. She would likely kill a younger bird. I would wait and see how she reacts to her mate/friend being gone. SHe might be happy just having the finches to chat with. You can also get another lovebird but have them caged seprately. That way she has another lovebird to talk to but they will not fight. I wish you good luck.
    Lovebirds fly into you heart and never let go.

Mummieeva
    Many thanks for your suggestion. I'm more than certain now that I did have two females after what you said about two females rarely agreeing in one cage -they did have quite a few serious fights but they did feed each other and preen each other too. Not only would I like my one to have company but I would like to get another pair so they could breed but I have been told the only way you you can tell the sex of love birds is by getting a DNA test done. I wouldnt want to finish up with another two of the same sex.
    Emmy

But before you add another bird there are things you should consider. You should never allow a new bird into your home without having a proper quarantine period.

Is the remaining bird appearing depressed over the loss of its cage mate?
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Just for first time you need to separate the new bird, and to have patience because they need time