Thread: Candles and Lovebirds

Default Candles and Lovebirds

Hello all!!! I am new to this site and I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me....actually a few I have 2 peach faced love birds that I have had for almost a month now. They live inside my house in my living room. As the winter season approaches, I like to lite all sorts of candles and oil warmers in my house. My living room is very large and I have 3 ceiling fans in it. Will burning my candles (sometimes 18 or more at a time) small voitive ones hurt my babies? Any help would be appriciated....Thank You, JackandRuby

Default Re: Candles and Lovebirds

I also love candles but I only use unscented. Each time I go to WalMart, I buy 2-3 dozen at a clip. The light is very pretty and that's what I like vs. the scent. Most scented candles are too strong for me so my sensitivity works well for my birds. Even if I weren't sensitive, unscented would still be my choice.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Make sure you check the wicks to ensure that they don't have a wire metal core. These can contain zinc and lead, and you definitely don't want to burn that. Cotton wicks through and through!
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Thumbs up Re: Candles and Lovebirds

Thanks for the info......I'm glad I found this site!!!

You might also look into all natural beeswax candles, no scent and purify the air.
    MJ

I had a bird go into sudden respiratory distress when I lit only one candle close to her cage. Respiratory distress can be fatal, and fast. It wasn't in my case, as I was able to get birdie away and the window open quickly enough to save her. Scented candles can be very dangerous for birdies, as can inscense and perfumed oils.

If you like your house to smell nice, try cinnamon or orange rinds in boiling water. Certain spices also work well, like mulling spice. Then you can burn unscented candles and still have the same general results in your home.
    Shy
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
    -Robert Browning-