Thread: Introducing a new lovebird to an elder lovebird, need advice!

Default Introducing a new lovebird to an elder lovebird, need advice!

Hello, I have a 7 year old masked lovebird, she has always been alone. I got her about a year ago, and I have been trying to tame her. I was considering getting her a friend, do you think she is to old to introduce a new lovebird to, or is there any advice on ways I can approach introducing a new bird to her ?

Default Re: Introducing a new lovebird to an elder lovebird, need advice!

Are you sure she is a female? If she is, your only option for a friend would be an older male or one closer to her own age.

Has she not been reacting well to your attempts to establishing a companion relationship with her? If not, what have you been doing with her? In my own personal experience, it's usually possible to form a relationship with just about any lovebird. That relationship may not be up close and cuddly but to what extent depends on the individual bird. I have several that are quite tame with me, as long as I don't touch them.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I know she is a female because she laid an egg before I upgraded her cage. She hasn't laid one since I put her in her new cage. Her and I do have a relationship, she always is happy to see me and she talks to me most of the day. Although I can't touch her. On occasion she comes and lands on my head and grooms my hair when she has her out of time. She doesn't like to leave her cage much, unless she attempts to land on me.

I was thinking of getting her a friend because she cuddles and grooms her toys, and I had a finch who she used to communicate with but couldn't see. The finch recently passed and once in awhile I swear I hear her mimicking certain chirps the finch used to make. I feel like she's lonely and needs a friend but has always been alone her whole life. She can be aggressive at times, do you think it's a good idea? Why do you suggest a male instead of a female? She does to into heat at times, I don't want babies.

She suggested male instead of female because two females do not generally get along. Females are much pickier then males in that category. Males will get along with other males and females will get along with males. But, two females (especially nesty ones) will fight over territory.

If anything I'd suggest no matter what other lovie you get to keep them in seperate cages right next to eachother, that way they can interract but avoid fighting as much.

Is there any suggestions on how I can get them to be in the same cage? I think she needs a friend to cuddle. It's really sad watching her cuddle her toys

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla.ashley View Post
    Is there any suggestions on how I can get them to be in the same cage? I think she needs a friend to cuddle. It's really sad watching her cuddle her toys
    Introducing a new lovebird to an existing one is a process. Granted, while some lovebirds might become instant friends, others need more time, some yet, even though they tolerate each other, may still require separate housing. The worst scenario, although somewhat rare, is they never get along at all. .. The safest and most effective way (but only after quarantine), is to introduce via separate cages placed side by side by which you allow plenty of time for them to get used to each others company. After a few weeks, then try an introduction (squirt bottle in hand) in a separate area away from their cages. .. Honestly, even under the best circumstances, there are no guarantees any two birds will ultimately get along. Because your 7 year old female may be set in her ways, she could easily decide to kill a curious male. This is good reason enough to use great care when introducing a new lovebird.

Have you ever thought about simply getting another finch or two? Although they certainly couldn't be caged together, they are the most recommended by vets to help keep single "mate resistant" parrots company.
    Goofy Lovebird, B.B. Lovebird, and Michael

I agree with Michael. If you do get another lovebird, be prepared to take care of 2 cages, just in case they can't be housed together. They will keep each other company in cages next to each other (and 2 lovies are a lot noisier than 1!) and will watch each other too. I had a 12 year old male lovebird and I introduced a just less than 1 year old lovebird male to him. They got along and played together out of their cages but when I tried to house them together, it didn't work out well. The older male wanted to rest a lot more and the younger one always wanted to play! But my older male, Squeaky, got a second wind for five more years - and I think having Ducky as a friend made those years much happier.

I wouldn't recommend 2 females either - they can be really nasty when they are nesty! Good luck!
    Christine, Ducky & Zoe

RIP
    Squeaky (1994-2012)
    RIP Blue Meanie (1994 - 2007)