Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

Default Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

My family and I have two Lovies, Luna and Flasket. They are a pair and are approximately a year old. We bought them from an elderly couple about three months ago. They came in a parrot-sized cage, and we found out the couple had kept them outside in a shed for most of the time they had them. Despite this, both birds seem perfectly healthy; they are eating, drinking, they grind their beaks before they sleep and they like to shout- A LOT.
    We have since moved them into a more suitably-sized cage, which they are much more comfortable to move around in. We have started to try and tame them by holding some millet on a perch, which they have taken on a couple of occasions. However, they are still quite flighty if you stand near their cage, and they tend to panic when we put our hands in to clean the cage. I would really appreciate some tips to try and gain their trust, so that they feel as comfortable as possible.
    Ellen xXx

Default Re: Tips on gaining a Lovebird's trust?

I will state the obvious patience is key! That being said parrots are smarter then dolphins with excellent memory, they remember how they used to live old habits etc.
    So slow and steady wins the race, spend lots of time near them even if not interacting something like read ing a book etc be near them make them used to you and your actions.
    Now heres a secret if your lovebirds are reading this hide thier eyes! Lovebirds by nature are very very curious! use that to your advantage play with treats and pretend to hide it before giveing it to them etc make them think you are giveing them the treats because they told you so (wich eventualy will be the case lol). Play with toys etc and they will want a piece of the action.
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

Bubbleking,
    Thank you very much for the advice! As I am typing this, I'm sitting next to the Lovies's cage. I will definitely try the hiding the treats method! I'll let you know how it goes.

Ellen xXx

I agree completely with Jeremiah! Patience, love and kindness will get you what you want. It's not going to happen overnight, as trust is earned and they need to learn they can trust you by experience. You know you won't hurt them but that's not in their background.

Lovebirds are very curious. Most have to be in the middle of the action, so, yes. Use that to your advantage. You don't need to play fair! You just want them to accept you as a member of THEIR flock. Notice I said that you join them, not the other way around! They are the masters, you are the perfect slave. Got that down pat? It's a shoo in!

P A T I E N C E!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Thanks for the advice, Linda.
    I used Jeremiah's tip and showed them a spray of millet outside the cage, then hid it until they shouted for it. After doing that a few times, I placed the millet on their favourite perch, with my hand at the very end of the stick, so it was just outside of the cage.

After about half an hour to forty minutes, even after I'd removed my hand from the end of the stick completely, they hadn't taken any. However, they got fairly close numerous times, and seemed to take comfort in me praising them and talking to them. I've also been sitting next to their cage as much as possible, but for the moment, I've decided to give them some space, to get over the trauma of losing some millet .

Should I try again later today, or do you think it's best to leave it now until tommorrow?
    Cheers for all the advice.
    Ellen xXx

Without intruding on their space and allowing them to come to you, the more you are around them, the more positive their feedback will be. You can try the exercise again later or wait until tomorrow to repeat it. It seems like you've caught their interest and that's the main target.

I have a Congo African Grey parrot who was wild caught and brought into the US for breeding purposes. She lost her mate to a bacterial infection so I've kept her on "pet" status since probably 1995. While she will not tolerate being touched, she will come over to interact and loves doing so, as long as it's hands off.

I guess what I'm saying is that you will find out what kind of relationship these 2 lovebirds will be comfortable with. They may want to be up close and personal. They may not. We pretty much have to accept their terms, as to do otherwise will not be comfortable for them and the trust is lost.
    Linda L.

Linda,
    I'm glad you pointed that out to me, as the last thing I want to do is force Luna and Flasket into doing something they're not comfortable with.
    I think I may try the exercise again later, as they have been perfectly content all afternoon and they are all ready much more comfortable with me beside their cage and are happy to sit closer to be. However, I will be sure to bear what you said in mind, and will be very careful not to push them too far.
    I'm sorry to hear about what your African Grey has been through, but at least she has you to care for her now and be her perfect slave!

Thanks again!
    TTFN
    Ellen xXx

I'm sorry to hear about what your African Grey has been through, but at least she has you to care for her now and be her perfect slave!
    Ginger (CAG) was the first larger parrot that I ever had come live with me. I purchased her and her mate for the purposes of breeding but it never got that far. However, she's adapted to pet status and is perfectly content in my flock. I have 2 other Greys and I call them the Grey Team. The intelligence level is quite amazing, as is the communication level between them! What one doesn't think of, the other 2 will!

Sounds like you are making good progress with your lovies and they seem to be accepting your companionship. It will take time and patience but it will be well worth the effort!
    Linda L.

Hiya!
    Sorry about the delay in replying, but I had school today.
    I didn't try again yesterday, as I felt it was too late in the evening, but I just tried again now, and although neither took the millet, Luna (the more adventurous of the two ), was happy to sit in a section of the cage that was close to the millet for quite a while, and didn't show any signs of being uncomfortable of scared.

Also, when I sat down next to their cage earlier, neither of them flapped to the back, and when I started talking to them, they moved onto a closer perch so that they could talk back to me!

TTFN,
    Ellen xXx

I am new to lovebirds
    Bought 2 pair of lovebird, one Yellow and one Green 2 week ago
    Once i noticed my younger brother was making them fight with each other, and scolded him for doing so...
    Yellow female now
    -fights alot with other 3 lovies, specially with green both male and female...
    -take full control over the millets and won't let others eat or sit on the swing...
    -bites me alot...
    Yellow male is easily tamed... Its difficult even to touch others...
    Everone hates to take a bath, tried twice in this week
    Took them out for 4-5 times but it was very difficult to catch them afterwards...
    After taking them out its difficult to tame even the Yellow male...!
    First week i fed them all at once, millets from my hand, but now no only yellow male comes!
    Plz tell me how to build their trust back?